Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I need to start a home daycare center.....

I am a stay at home wife with nothing but time on my hand. I love kids I have worked at several day cares and I have even worked at a juvenile lockdown facility/ jail. And I am interested in helping out mothers and fathers that dont have much money but need help with child care services. Does anyone know what I will need to do to get started???? Please help

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs_Kay at 1:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • My understanding is that each state has different requirements. You could probably call one of the places you've worked at and ask them how to get ahold of those.
    Are you interested in being able to offer an allergy/asthma friendly home for those kids you are caring for? If so, contact me at

    Answer by TeaAnderson at 2:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • If you want to be certified daycare you will need to contact your state and meet their requirements. For my state (WA) there are required classes, specifications for the house, continued education requirements, limits on number of children, food restrictions, etc. I believe there are also restrictions and requirements to accept DSHS kids as well- time limits, extra paperwork, etc.

    If you wanted to "babysit" off the radar so to speak it would be a matter of getting the word out, setting a "fair price" and for your protection having some type of written and signed contract.

    Good luck!

    Answer by lanimommy81 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • I used to work at a daycare run out of a home. You need to check the state requirements, you can have a certain amount of kids by law, certain foods and 'menue choices that go with food groups and all that. You need a pay rate and figure your hours you are available, (lots of parents stiff you and just drop thier kids for hours and hours), insurance and such incase a child a gets hurt, paper work for the parents and yourself so you have emergency numbers. Cpr and first aid would be really helpful.

    Answer by kittie1919104 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

  • If you have time on your hands take a look at   and see if this is something you might be interested in.  The products are great  to keep you healthy and /or improve your health.  Email me for further info    Also, look at  



    Answer by jmcan at 8:51 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
grants for college

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
feeding schedule