How much should I charge to provide child care?

I live in a rural area in PA. I'm meeting with a father this evening who is looking for someone to come in to his house Monday through Friday from 8 am to 4 pm and watch his 2 and a half year old son. I can bring my 7 month old daughter with me. He said he is flexible so any day she has dr appointments or isn't feeling well or anything like that, he can take his son to work with him.

He has never had in-home care for his son so he isn't sure what to charge. I did a lot of babysitting while I was in high school and college but that was years ago so I'm not sure of the going rate.

He checked with a local day care and they charge $120/week. He is willing to pay more than that but is not sure how much more is fair. He is also willing to pay extra if I help out with housework while I'm there.

Any suggestions on what a fair rate would be?

MrsAce150

Asked by MrsAce150 at 1:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say $120 a week is fair b/c you are taking your child with you. .If you weren't then you could charge more.
    Anonymous

• Even if you charge him the rates as a daycare he is still getting the better end because you will be with his kids one on one and you will be in there home and you get to bring your baby with you. I would say 125.00. Go for it and good luck.busy mom

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i babysit 3 to 4 days a week and his mom pays me 30 dollers a day unless she dose over time than she gives me 10 dollers extra but in the end i make 90 for 3 days or 120 for 4 days! it not that bad.
    babygurl2006

Answer by babygurl2006 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Do those rates include light housework or would that be in addition to the $120?
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i pike up his toys clean up what i mess up like makin him food she my mother in-law so i dont ask for much than that
    babygurl2006

Answer by babygurl2006 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• He was talking about washing dishes, vacuuming, dusting, etc.
    MrsAce150

Answer by MrsAce150 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I say charge 140/wk with housework. :) Congrats on finding such a great little job!
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 1:58 PM on Mar. 12, 2009