How do I get my son to stop biting me?

I am currently breastfeeding my 8 month old son. He has never taken a bottle and refuses to take a bottle, and also has not quite figured out the mechanics of getting his juicy out of his sippy cup. He has also just recently cut two teeth. But, now that he has his teeth coming in, he has started to bite me. It seems like it's just to see what will happen, but it's making me sore. How do I get him to stop biting me without stopping his usually feeding schedule and habits?

momtocorbin

Asked by momtocorbin at 1:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my friend had that problem and every time her baby bit her she would take the baby off her boob and she would always let the baby finish but when the baby bit he got off the boob! hope this helps! GOOD LUCK

woobie102

Answer by woobie102 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My sil had that problem, and she would push his face into her boob when he bit, and he'd let go. Then firmly say "NO" and put him back on. Do not try to pull your boob away from him, b/c his teeth are on it, and naturally that would hurt. You just kinda gently shove them into your boob.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When my dd bit I took her off of the breast, and told her no. Let her go back to nursing. If she did it again I did the same thing except she didnt get the breast for 5 minutes and then she could attempt to finish if she wanted. If she did it a 3rd time the nursing session was ended. IT took probably 3 times of doing this for her to realize its not funny.
    Also Try to pay attention to the suckling. When you hear baby stop swallowing remove from the breast. If they can bite they arent latched on properly.
    kristinlimon

Answer by kristinlimon at 2:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Whenever my son would bite me I would pop him off the boob and say "No." Then I would put him down and not let him nurse again for a few minutes. It didn't take him long to realize that if he wanted to keep nursing he'd have to stop biting.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When that starts happening, I unlatch and tell my baby "biting hurts mommy." If baby really wants to nurse s/he'll cry and ask to be put back on.. If it was all in boredom, then problem solved.

(I try to avoid the use of the word "no" simply because it loses meaning and it doesn't explain WHY.. And no can be misconstrued as no booby, rather than no biting.. I'm all about the positive redirection, though.. )
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• sfwilson - You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!!!!
    Are you seriously passing this on as ADVICE?!?!?!??!?!
    Uhhh, NO, do NOT suffocate your child to get them to unlatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Gently stick your finger in the mouth and pull the nipple out that way.. Jesus Christ!!!! THAT is how you unlatch a baby from the breast!!!!!!!! Breastfeeding 101!!!! It's one of the very first tricks that are taught about breastfeeding!!!!!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009