Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support check bounced. Should she have to pay the bank fees?

DH gets child support and the check bounced. Normally I call and verify funds beforehand, but this time I forgot. We got some fees from our bank because of it and we wanted to know if we should expect her to pay the fees as well as give us the money that wasn't there?


Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Yes. She should pay them and be greatful that neither your or the bank are reporting her. It is a serious offense to write a check for funds you knowingly do not have.

    Answer by NovemberLove at 1:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • Yepp she should have to pay the fees too!

    Answer by Ash9724 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • Is there a way that the funds can go through the state. In the county where I live, the parent paying child support can bring cash to the enforcement office and then the funds are placed onto the parent who has custody's debit card. Every time no payment is made, the enforcement officer automatically knows how much the parent is in the rears (different levels of debt can result in different things, arrest, removal of driver's liscense) without the custodian parent having to report it. That way the enforcement officer is also the one dealing with bounced checks, not you.

    I'd ask about it. It seems much easier.

    Answer by NovemberLove at 1:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • Yes, I would suggest going through the county clerk's office where your case resides.

    Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009