What is your experience with the gyno?

I mean I know you go in there and change into some paper towel looking gown and wait...then when they come in (doctor and nurse) to do the exam they do what they got to do. The only thing I can say is that I feel alittle scrapping inside me down there and that is it and they check for abnormalities in the lower belly.

How would you decribe this exam?

Not to mention they don't get back to me about my results, I take it as good news.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Health

• The scraping is a cytology brush that gets placed into a container that the nurse has handy and gets sent off to the lab. The hand inside your vagina and the other hand pushing down very hard on your abdomen is the gynecologist's way of doing an external examination of your internal organs. She can feel the location of your uterus, its size, the fallopian tubes, and the ovaries. The part of the exam I detest is the digital exam in the anus and in the vagina - extremely embarassing and uncomfortable!!!
    Different practices have different policies in regards to pap results. I have never been notified of any test results by any of the gynecologists I have ever gone to. But I do know that if there was a questionable lab result, the office will call you to set up a re-exam.
    One word of advice....keep your socks on. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That's a pap-smear. I find them mildly uncomfortable, but they go pretty quick. Had to have a biopsy of my cervix once! Holy ouch. That was awful, but also very quick.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I guess no news is good news, but they're still supposed to get back to you in some form. I always get something in the mail that says my pap was nomal. I've had bad experiences and good ones. This last time the Dr. was done before I knew she was even doing anything! That was great!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009