Newborn and 2 year old

How do you get the two to sleep at night? Does the newborn constantly wake up your 2 year old? I want to get pregnant again, but these are things i wonder about. Have any of you been through this? How did you do it? How did your toddler react to all the noise and sleeping and the baby?

ClvDandJ

Asked by ClvDandJ at 2:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm curious too except that I will be having a newborn and a one year old. I think that if you have the newborn in a different room it shouldn't be too bad because the toddler shouldn't be able to hear it. My son is a light sleeper but we will have the tv on in the living room and our dog and cat will play loudly and he doesn't wake up. The thing I'm most worried about is when I'm going to get sleep because when my son was a newborn he would sleep until three in the afternoon and stay up until four in the morning! I think it will be more difficult juggling my sleep and adjusting to two little ones. But, my brother and his wife have three kids (3,2, and 1 years old) and she is due with another in a month and they seem to handle it. Of course it looks like it's easy when you're not there all the time. I'm sure it will be tough at first but it will work out and a routine will start.
    Anonymous

• I'll have a new born and a 1 year old, and I've heard that if the older child is a light sleeper than to put something in their room to be "white noise" like a fan or something. That way they won't wake up when the baby is crying.

Also if it's possible to have them in separate rooms, if there's only 1 extra room see if you can keep the newborn in the bedroom with you until he/she can sleep through the night.

It's doable. You just have to change circumstances depending on the child and how well they sleep and how far apart you can keep the two.

Congrats in advance on your future pregnancy =)
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter was 15 1/2 months when my second daughter was born. At first I was worried that the newborn would wake her up at night. We had her in a cosleeper bassinet in our room, and out toddler didn't wake up once from her little sister getting up to eat. Maybe because she never got to a full-out cry because she was in our room. I was really paranoid about naps for awhile, but luckily newborns can sleep anywhere so I had the newborn in the study or the playroom to preserve the sacred toddler nap for awhile. By the time the baby was sleeping consistently in her own room for naps and bedtime, my toddler was used to the sound of her sister crying and could totally tune it out. A few times when their naps timed really badly, she'd wake up from her little sister crying, but I can probably count the number of times on one hand and the baby's 6 months old now. The only prob. is finding time to get out with all those naps!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• you ladies are making me feel better about it! Haha. I would go nuts with a sleep deprived toddler and a newborn! I hope i can get preggo soon! And maybe even have 1 potty trained by the time the 2nd one is here!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 2:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My 2 year old was fine. Remember that it's only the first 6-8 weeks that babies wake during the night.. My 2 year old was fantastic the one or two times she happened to get woken up, too.. She just talked and coddled her sister and told her it was bed time..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• BTW- We're a co-sleeping family. I can't tell you how amazing this is for preventing sleep deprivation.. If I had to run across the house and sit and nurse in a rocking chair every time my newborn woke up, I'd have a fit.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009