Small Flower Garden question

I have never done a flower garden so I need some help. We are going to start killing out the weeds that have grown up and get that part done. Do we HAVE to put the black plastic tarp down or can we just go ahead with top soil and mulch? The way my flower bed is shaped I am gonna put either rose bushes or some kind of larger plant in one area on the side of our porch. Right in front of the porch is where I plan to put tulips and iris'. I ask about the black tarp cause I see some in the flower bed already and it just looks like such a hassle to take up and put new back down. If I do need the tarp can you tell me do I plant first then cut holes in the tarp to put around the plants or how does that work? Thanks

vikaroo18

Asked by vikaroo18 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• the tarp stuff is just to help with weeds which it doesn't that well anyway and is bad for the enviornment. I would just topsoil or peat moss, plant flowers, then mulch as desired.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yeah, you really don't need the tarp at all. Your gonna love having a flower Garden! Just plant your flowers in the dirt use good topsoil, and like navy-wife said use some mulch(weeds always find a way) and enjoy! Happy gardening!!:")

marlu

Answer by marlu at 7:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009