Parents of children on the autism spectrum...

Is your child with autism your only child? Did you decide to try for another baby AFTER you already had a diagnosis for your child? If so how did you come to the decision to try, did you struggle with it? Were you worried about having another child on the spectrum? Just curious.

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 2:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• Both of my children are Autistic. They are 23 months apart, so my older son was 15 months old when I became pregnant with my younger son. I did not get the diagnosis of my older son until he was 2 years 10 months, by which time my younger son was 10 months old.

We only wanted two children, and I had my tubes tied when my younger son was 10 weeks old. If I had known about my older son having Autism, he likely would have been my only child--or we would have spaced them MUCH further apart! Autism is a genetic condition, so there's always the possibility of ASD.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my boys more than life itself, but having both of them so close in age and both on the spectrum has been incredibly difficult--especially considering I do not have familial support (babysitting, emotional, financial) beyond my fabulous rock of a husband!

We have come a LONG way with our boys, and their futures look quite promising!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Jordan didnt have a diagnosis when Siani was born. I would have still had her either way. Now I am with a spouse that himself is Autistic and we keep trying to have a baby together. Our child having Autism is something we are prepared to deal with if it happens. I dont let it rule my thinking and turn it over to what will happen will happen. I will love any child we happen to have , Autistic , neurotypical , MR, disfigured, physically challenged etc. Its still our child no matter what.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 2:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Eh my kid's are 23 month's apart, and they don't have Autism and it's very stressful at times and time-consuming.
    I think Brody is WAY to cute not to make another one, but it's 100% understanable being hesitant about it. Good luck your decision!
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2009