question about a charged off checking account

If you have a charged off checking account at one bank, and they report it to chex systems so you can't open a new account at another bank. But if you already have an account at another bank, will that effect your ability to write checks off of the account still in good standing like at walmart or somewhere or just your ability to open a new account elsewhere?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yes. Pay off the old account.
    Anonymous

• They will more than likely take away your checking account and turn it into savings only until you pay off the old account.
    Anonymous

• If youve already opened another acct, then its fine. They only way that you can't write checks is if something is reported to the system that THAT store or business uses. They all use different things. One might use security check and then one might use checkcare....it can only be reported to the system on which the bad check was written. I don't think the bad debt with the bank will effect that. BUT, I do suggest using an all cash system. I write like 10 checks a year. Everything is done in cash. Its so much easier and once the money is out of the acct, I don;t have to wait on a check to clear. Floating checks is just too easy to catch up with you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Pay it off. Even if its just $5 a week.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The best bet is to pay off the charged off account racking up debt in different institutions is NEVER a good idea!! Take it from me I have SEVERAL BILLS.and different dates sometimes I'll FORGET one but I pay so my companies are understanding,but I feel like VISA AND MASTERCARDS SLAVE!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2010