• In the Spotlight:

Can you only freeze cooked fruit and veg baby food?

I go to Stop & Shop and buy their supper discounted produce that is really ripe for the baby. I know I can freeze the steamed veg but what about raw pears and avacado? do I have to cook it first then freeze It. Can I steam fruit to keep its nutrients intact?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you're making baby food, you would typically steam it first and then freeze. Avocado and Banana does not need to be cooked or steamed, it can be frozen as is (or pureed). Avocado will get brown on top and banana will turn brown all the way through (if you puree) but both are fine. If you're not making baby food, then I don't see any reason why you can't freeze it as is or in chunks (without cooking first). You can buy fresh frozen fruit at the grocery store so it would be similar to that.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would steam the pears unless they are really soft already. You can mash and freeze raw avocado. It might turn brown but it'll still be good.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We puree fresh avocado for our 6 mo and put it in ice cube trays and it doesn't get too brown and she loves. it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009