Piercing your daughters ears.

My neice is wanting to get her daughters ears pierced,but different ones are telling her ,she is two young.She is 3 months old.How old was your daughter,when you had her ears pierced,or are you going to?

Val504

Asked by Val504 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• I got my daughters done at 2 months. I taked to her pedi about it before hand and he told me if I was going to do it at an early age do it soon before she got old enough to pull on them, and she would grow up and they would just always be there. And by the time she is old enough to not let me mess with them they will be healed enough that they wont get infected or close up. He said if I didn't decide to do it early, than to make her wait untill she ws a teenager, and was responsible to keep them clean and not loose them. The inbetween age is the bad time to do it. My dd has never had a problem with them, and she cried less geting her ears done than she did at her 2 month shots.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I will allow her to when she asks, with one stipulation. I will NOT allow her ears to be pierced with a piercing gun. I used to do that at a jewelry store, and I've had it done plenty of times myself. The gun causes more damage to the surrounding tissue, and leaves the ear sore for sometimes weeks. A needle (some doctors will pierce ears) is less traumatic to the tissue, and heals much faster than the gun. Down with the gun!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I got my DD's ears pierced at 3 months. She cried for a minute but did good otherwise. She never pulled at them and they never got infected. She is 2 1/2 now and loves having earrings.
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 3:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• 3 years old because she would not stop begging me and she turned 7 march 4th and still has them and takes care of them, the only thing is that she has to wear gold or sterling silver non of the fake stuff it makes her ears infected.

Anonymous

• she was 3 or 4 months old.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I waited until she was old enough to ask to have them and be able to take care of them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I got my daughter's pierced at 2 months...the younger the better. If she gets older like 2 or 3 she knows shes bout to get pinched in the ear and shes gonna be squirming and yelling all over the place. You also dont have to worry about them bothering the lobes and getting them infected. Its like getting a vaccine shot...theyll cry for a couple of seconds than go back to sleep.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I got my daughters done at 6 months old (she's 15 months now). I'm glad I did. Neither her nor our 3 year old mess with them. She did cry, but she stopped once stopped holding her still. We have yet to have any issues with her ears. Make sure they use gold, I was told gold has a low risk of allergic reaction. That's all we put on my daughter.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I'll do it when she's old enough to ask. My nearly 17 month old likes her clip ons. I'm not against piercings or even young piercings (I got all of mine before 18). But subjecting babies to unnecessary pain and risk of infection for fashion that they're too young to understand is wrong IMO.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009