Will neutered cats still spray?

We have a stray cat. Actually I think he's somewhere around six or seven months old, but who knows. We live in the country and I think people have been dropping their pets off that they can no longer take care of. Anyway, this little guy showed up a few days ago. He's extremely friendly and loves to cuddle. I think he was an indoor kitty. We've been feeding him and made a covered bed for him, but we haven't let him in the house. My question is, if nobody claims him and we keep him, will he spray even if we have him neutered? We have two big indoor dogs, not sure if that matters.

Littlebit722

Asked by Littlebit722 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pets

• They say do they not but I have had cats still do it. The vet said it happens sometimes, depends on the cat.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 2:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• From what I know it isn't common, but can happen. Sounds like he is a sweetie though, maybe worth the risk, especially if he was already an indoor cat. Getting it doine early is also supposed to help before they become accustomed to spraying and still do it our of habit.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• it depends on a couple of things...have other cats sprayed in your house? if yes then this new cat mayspray to mark over the old scent. you can scrub the spots sprayed with a special chem from a pet store made for that. also since you do not know this cats history and he has never been in the house, you can correct spraying quickly with water bottle. like PP said some do and some don't, even unaltered males do not all spray, it depends on if they feel they need to mark territory.If no cats have sprayed , get him fixed and he will prolly be fine.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No, no other cats have sprayed in the house. We do have a puppy. She had accidents before she was housebroken.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my parents fixed cat still sprayed.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• yes they can still spray...i used to have some that did..not common..but it is possible..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:39 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• They can. And if they can, they will. I have heard that if they are spraying already and you get them fixed, they will continue to spray.
    Shamanmom

Answer by Shamanmom at 4:35 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• our 9 month old was neutered about 6 weeks ago and he has not made i stink since
    emexmom

Answer by emexmom at 4:54 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Male cats develop a certain Glan, I heard if they develop the glan before you neutered them they will continue to spray
    Teeny83

Answer by Teeny83 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 14, 2009

• It varies. If you get them neutered young, under a year, usually they will not spray or will stop spraying. It may take a few weeks for their hormones to circulate out of thier system, but then thier urine will smell noteably less strong, and many of the undersirable tom cat behaviors such as spraying, roaming, and fighting will decrease or dissapear. I have worked in the veterinary field for over 15 years, and have seen countless numbers of tom cats settle well into family life!
    Katrina77

Answer by Katrina77 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 18, 2009