Ultrasound

Do ultrasounds date from LMP? And, if you measure farther along than your LMP, does it then date from conception and not your LMP?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ask your provider or the tech. I think it depends how the specific machine is configured.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The ultrasound would measure from the babys growth, which sometimes cannot be measured until 8-10 weeks. Usually you can go by your LMP but that does not help. I am an example of that. My measurement is small and I am about 7 weeks but my baby is still too small as of last week on the U/S and my period this week would make me 8 weeks. But I conceived last in Jan..
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It does date from lmp. But if you are dating further along, it gives you a date from 2 weeks before you concieve as that is the "average" time awoman will concieve, it basically pretends that your period is a different date that you said it was. No biggie though.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think they date by the size of the baby.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• no the ultrasound goes by size of baby. thats how they figured my due date out was based on the size of my baby. my periods were always off and not very accurate so when i got pregnant i didnt actually convieve when i should have i concieved around the time my period should have started for the next month.
    Anonymous

• I asked because I'm confused at how someone could have a due date of May 16th (if they concieved August 23rd) and then someone else have the same due date but they concieved August 8th. I think I'm just confused on how the whole pregnancy thing works.
    Anonymous