potty regression -- how do I get her to tell me she needs to pee again?

Nothing's changed in our routine, no illness, etc. but my fully potty trained 21 month-old has started having tons of accidents every day. Instead of saying "want to go potty please" when she needs to go, she says it right after she's gone. We've tried bringing back the rewards, but it doesn't help throughout the day, she'll just ask to go once as soon as we remind her the reward's involved, then she'll proceed to forget how it all works again. She's never worn pull-ups, we went straight to undies at 19 months.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 3:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just give her time and don't punish her. I started my son at 12 mos. Yes I know that was too young, he did well until he must have known the peditrician must have said no he's too young. I tried at about age 2, he didn't want to do it. At age 2 1/2 he decided to start again. He's now 3 and basically goes all day long, still having problems at night and with the poop. But he is always constipated so I think that is the problem with that. Give it time, she will get use to it as she realizes. They usually take one step back before it's over and done with.
    Prican91181

Answer by Prican91181 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You have discovered the number 1 frustation of every parent with a fairly newly potty trained kid.
    Once the newness and excitment wears off, most kids will stop telling you they have to go and will start saying "NO!" if you ask them. Why? Because it's BORING. When they tell you they have to go, it means they have to stop playing. They have to leave their toys. Every child on the planet will say "NO!" simply because they wish it was true so they could keep playing.
    What to do?
    Don't ask her. Don't expect her to tell you. TAKE HER. Keep track of when she last went and make sure she goes again if it's been 2 hours. Watch for the "potty dance" too. Say "It's time to use the potty."
    When can you stop telling her to go? When she happily stops playing all on her own and trots off down the hall to the bathroom every time for 3 days in a row with no accidents. Remember that accidents like this are common up to age 6.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009