Why when you say someone is "religious" people think you mean Christian?

Someone asked me about a guy we went to school with today and I told her he had been out of jail for a LONG time and was really religious and his religion forbid him to hurt people or commit crimes and he was sticking to it and had been for some time and she said"Oh Christians commit crimes!" .Ummmmmmm,I never said he was a Christian because he isn't.Why did she just assume that?

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 3:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The majority of people in this country, who follow a religion, are Christian. They assume everyone else is too because that is what they know.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 3:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• dunno. I think of religious as meaning fanatical.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Sad , but that is the view that a lot of people have. Just like they see you are a good person and assume you are Christian. Like one thing has to do with the other.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think (not that it's right necessarily but) that when people hear "religious" they think Christian - and when they hear "spiritual" it's a more ambivalent statement about which religion you may be referring to...

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• No, I don't but a lot of people don't actually think there are many other options. Most people I am around think there are 2 options. Christian or Athiest.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Because, in this country, if you run into someone who is very "religious" they are most likely Christian. So we assume what we have seen the most of. That doesn't make it true, it's just an assumption based on the life experience of one person. And we all know how assume is spelled.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• What I want to know is why you aren't at moms with minds!kiss

julie.r0cks

Answer by julie.r0cks at 4:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Because there is only one true religion and thats CHRISTIAN all the others have taken from the religion took out what they didnt like put in what they did like and made it their own. For examle muslim.
    Anonymous

• Because this is a Christian country and A LOT of people can not accept the idea that there are non christians living in america. We must all be saved!!!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• What ashame people just pick a religion like picking fruit at the grocery store. It seem they pick the one thats the most appealing and requies less commitment and work.
    Anonymous