When do you move a child into a big boy bed from a crib?

Mine is convertible to a toddler sized bed, but I currently keep the crib gates up since he does not climb out of it. Can I keep him in there until he is too big for it?
He turns three this month.

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sure, why not? I moved my daughter into a toddler bed at 24 months, but there was no real need to do so. If he's not climbing over, and he still fits, there's no need to change it up.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If he may need to get out quickly to run to the bathroom, then it is time to make sure he can, which would mean the bars will need to go, but otherwise he may as well sleep there as long as he is comfortable.

Answer by Bmat at 3:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You can..unless he's potty trained, then it might be an issue at night to go potty.

We moved ours to a regular bed at 15 months. Our crib had a height limit, though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2009