How do I tell my 12 yr son about his ASD DX

Are there any other moms or dads who have had to explain a diagnosis of Autism to their child. My son is 12 and old enough to understand something is going on. I would welcome others experiences.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• 12 is kind of old to just be finding out about autism. I'm sure he is already aware that he is different from most other kids. I would just sit him down with his father if possible and tell him the straight scoop as best you can.

My dd just turned 5 and has autism but she isn't advanced enough to even understand what that means so far.
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• 12 is kind of too old to be just finding this out. He should have been told long ago. You are just going to have to explain to him what it is and that he can still lead a normal life, he may just have to work harder at some things. It all depends on the severity of the Autisim. You can also try one of the groups for kids with Autisim on CafeMom.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter is 12 years old, and she was dx. at age 3 years old, she does not undertand alot of it, but she also has several other medical problems, including c. palsy, so how much do they understand varies per child, I think. and she does listen to everything that the docs and I say, she does remain silent at all appts., however , I really wonder how much all children understand wheather they or healthy or have asd or any other medical problems, so I think it is up tro the child and you. And just because you do decide to tell does not mean that child will understand it any more, you know what mean..dinahinabox@aol.com
    dinahinabox178

Answer by dinahinabox178 at 7:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would find a book in the area. My 10 year old knows he is different but he doesnt grasp what I am telling him. He has aspergers and his youger brother has autism. Im suppose to explain to him what is different about his brother when he doesnt even understand his own differences. My plan is to find a book. Barnes and Noble is neat. You go to the customer service and talk to them. You can order books that they may not have. They will email you when they come in. You can go in an check them out and see if they are up to what you want. If not they will simply put them back on the shelf. Pictures work great for our autistic kids. Getting a visual on it helps them understand. I dont think 12 is to old. I totally understand the wait. You know your child best.
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 3:57 PM on Mar. 11, 2009