how can i help my son with his accidents at school he is almost 9 years old??

he was born with a brain defect that affected the gross and fine motor skills on his right side. However functions as a normal 9 year old boy. He says he can't feel when he has to go. I have taken him to the doc. and they put himon Ditripan for bladder aspasums. However the school is suggesting i put him Diapers!! He has had one accident in 4 months at school. IS the school being unreasonable???? What rights do i have?? I DO NOT WANT NOR WILL I PUT MY9 Year OLD BOY IN DIAPERS!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Kids' Health

• To me it seems unreasonable that they would even suggest it since he has only had one accident in four months. If they keep pressing the issue, I would bring it to the superintendent. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That seems unreasonable to me. If my toddler had one accidnet in 4 months, should I throw in the towel and put her back in diapers or should I do cartwheels of happiness?

I'd get him a watch with a built in timer or alarm. They even make vibrating ones so the kids around him wouldn't hear it go off. When the alarm goes off, he asks the teacher for a bathroom break. That way he wouldn't have to depend on his iffy ability to sense that he has to go - he'll go at regular set times instead.
    You might also talk to his teacher and see where any regular breaks in the day occur that would be the least disruptive for him to go. If you get a watch with multiple alarms, you could set them for those times. Talk to him to figure out how many trips he thinks he needs in the day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That is dumb that they would suggest that! How humiliating that would be for a 9 year old!
    I think like Kaycee said... more regular bathroom breaks would work well. And, you probably have already, but a change of clothes at school so if he does have an accident he can quickly change without it being a big deal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think the watch idea is great. And a change of clothes just in case.They do make the pull up type for big kids if it was a huge problem but i dont think it sounds like it is. I think they are being stupid.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2009