How do you know when you do not need to put pull ups at night?

We potty trained my son two weeks ago and we are thrilled. I had no idea how much better it is. But we still need to put pull ups on him throughout the night so he does not pee through. When do you know that they can just wear underwear through the night. He is almost three.

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he he doesn't wet them anymore sounds like a plan.
    Anonymous

• My son wore pull ups at night for about 6 months after he had started potty training. You will notice that your son might get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom or his pull up is completely dry every night. You will know when the time comes.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When he wakes up dry fopr a couple days in a row i would stop and see how he does. My son will be 4 in April and we just finally broke through the potty training about a month ago but he still has to use them at night.
    My2BoyznMe0508

Answer by My2BoyznMe0508 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When he wakes up dry for 5 to 7 days in a row.
    Don't forget to keep putting a waterproof pad under his sheet to protect the mattress for YEARS. Bedwetting accidents are common even in night time trained kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I always waited until 4-6 months after they were waking up totally dry regularly. I'm cranky that way. I can't stand the smell of urine in a childs room. I also have waterproof pads on all kids beds. It starts with protection from bedwetting and ends up being protection from vomiting, periods and nocturnal emissions. When my youngest went to college he kept one on so if he got drunk.LOL.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• She wore undies and before i went to bed i would wake her and put her on the potty and when DH woke up for work he would... after awhile she didnt need us to wake her
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If he's dry for a few nights, go for it. I'd buy a cover for the mattress...waterproof one. lol (you never know)

We didn't put them in underwear, though, just their pajamas.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When he doesnt wet them at night anymore.
    mybabybugssmile

Answer by mybabybugssmile at 7:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I didn't use them anymore when my kids woke up with a dry pull up more often than a wet one. Just put a waterproof pad under the sheets for emergencies. You can help them make it through the night by limiting liquids for a couple of hours prior to bedtime and taking them to the potty right before bed.
    taymacsmom

Answer by taymacsmom at 10:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• For me to stop putting a child in pull-ups I have 2 requirements....1) they wake up dry several mornings in a row and 2) they are capable of waking up and letting you know that they have to go potty.
    I am getting ready to do away with pull-ups with my son who is 3 1/2. He is dry in the mornings now and he wakes us up at least once a night to go potty.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2009