Is it o.k. if my son sucks him thumb in bed at night? And does this affect his mouth or teeth?

He is going to be three this month and I don't know if I should really try to stop him from sucking his thumb in bed. Or if he will naturally grow out of it.

Janette526

Asked by Janette526 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He may or may not grow out of it, he is still a little young, IMO. It can affect his teeth, but he doesn't have his permanents yet. I wouldn't worry until a few more years and he gets his permanent teeth. Then it can cause a overbite that can be expensive to fix. He will be fine, no worries.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It isn't like it is a pacifier. You can't take his thumb away and efforts to get him to stop will only reinforce his need for the self comforting. I thought my grandson would go to school sucking on his wrist...at 4 and a half..he just stopped all the sudden. Kids suck as a way to comfort themselves. Esp. if he is only doing it at night..I wouldn't even begin to worry about it until he starts losing teeth.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• How old is he? 3 or 4, and if he is almost 5, he is definitely too old for that
    Anonymous

• Thumb sucking is a habit that can cause not only physical problems but emotional problems as well.

He can have crooked or buck teeeth, malformation of the fingers, and infections under the fingernail.

Emotional problems include low self esteem, nervousness and teasing from other children.

Don't nag at your child to stoop. Nagging makes him or her feel guilty and insecure, which in turn can increase thumb sucking instead of decreases it. Don't ignore it either, but be careful how you talk to your child about the subject.

Sit him down and explain to him why it is important for the thumb sucking to stop.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009