How do you treat your lo's diaper rash?

So, Elizabeth has had a minor diaper rash for the past... umm... week or so and it just looks like a little sunburn. It's not bleeding, it's not raised, just sore looking. But nothing seems to help. I have tried a&d ointment, destin, and triple paste. Nothing works! Any ideas? What do you use?

Christina7407

Asked by Christina7407 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• butt paste you can get it from walmart and it works great
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My dd has had yeast infections that look like diaper rash. If nothing helps on it then maybe ask your dr. Our pedi said that the difference will be that a yeast infection looks more shiney.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• A & D ontiment.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The only brand that really worked for our daughter's bad ones is Balmex. If that doesn't work, my doctor actually advised: Maalox (like for your stomach -- not the minty kind!) with vaseline over it. Weird, I know. the Maalox supposedly neutralizes the urine and the vaseline provides a water barrier. I didn't find it to work great, but my daughter's really bad one was from her very frequent bowel movements/diarrhea, not from urine. My doctor really swore it worked when nothing else would.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important part! Air time! We did a half hour without a diaper twice a day and that's what finally got rid of the blisters. (Yeah, it was an ugly one). We just picked a room without carpet and tried to get her to read books on a towel.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Vaseline & Air time definitly are both good (we use often!) and also cornstartch... NOT BABY POWDER... My SIL said her daughters pedi told her baby powder can cause yeast infections so to use corn strtch instead...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 4:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Let your baby air her buns! ; ) We cloth diaper, so we've never gotten a rash, but will occasionally get a little "red crack." Then we just let our son run around without a diaper on for a bit.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my son has had that and it was a yeast infection....how boys get them i have no idea but he did....u can take your daughter to the dr and they will be able to tell u if it is an yeast infection an even if its not they will be able to prescribe a cream that will get rid of the rash within a couple days...good luck i hope this helped
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 4:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yeah, we cloth diaper too. But haven't been for the past month b/c of her getting rotavirus and rashes. I was waiting for my fluffy mail to come so that I could start using again (had to rebuild my stash) and meanwhile, she got this rash. I have no idea how she got it. Nothing has changed in her diet or soaps.
    Christina7407

Answer by Christina7407 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If you cloth diaper and are now using reg diapers when the rash came, she may be allergic to the diaper... My son is allergic to all diapers except the organic ones (you can get them at a health food store) the store brands have all sorts of chemicals (including chlorine) and its awful when you read up on it... The doc can also perscribe bactroban... it is AMAZING!!!
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 4:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009