How do I get my child to stop being so violent?

I have no idea where my 18-month-old picked it up, but lately she's developed this nasty habit of smacking people: sometimes she strikes in anger and sometimes she hits just to hit! Everytime I verbally reprimand her, she breaks down in a hysteric fit. How can I get her to stop being so physical while avoiding these major breakdowns?

mommaruth07

Asked by mommaruth07 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have been told that hitting is a normal phase. when my son hits me i tell him no love the momma. lol. then i rub his hand in my hair. now when he starts to hit me i tell him that and he rubs my hair and gives my kisses on his own. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son started that around the same age. I tried a variety of approaches, and finally settled on a combination of two things. When I see that he is winding up (lol) I get really calm and quiet, look him in the eyes, and talk about being gentle. We work on gentle touch a lot, not just when he needs to be corrected. That works 99% of the time now. On the rare occasion that he does haul off and smack me or someone else, I calmly and gently place his hands at his sides and say no hitting, gentle touch. He's really responded to that.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 3:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my son is 15 months old and has started smackin to smack or to express his anger. what i do is i give him a warning and if that don't work then i tap him on the hand an tell him thats not nice an hitting hurts. If that still dont hurt try putting them in timeout I put my 15 month in time out in his playpen with no toys until he settles down i usually only put him in there for about 5 min an just ignore him and do other things and its seems to work great
    Litlegourd

Answer by Litlegourd at 4:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When our daughter slaps , we will tell her to " be nice, or we will put you down" . If she continues we put her down, if she has a fit, we walk away for a little while. I don't want her to have an audience for her fit. After a minute or two we go back and talk gently to her, giving her a hug. Be patient, it really is a stage.
    micurdal

Answer by micurdal at 8:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2009