How can i get my son to sleep somewhere else other than my arms?

My son will not sleep anywhere but my arms how can i break this?

wesleysmom117

Asked by wesleysmom117 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep trying to put him down. He'll wake up alot but eventually he'll be too sleepy and in too deep of a sleep to wake back up. I'm at the end of having that same problem so I know how frustrating that is.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Make sure where you lay him down is warm. I like using a heating pad that I remove before putting the baby down, and of course checking the bedding first to make sure it isn't too warm. Lay the baby down and sit next to him and pet him as long as he is awake. Old fashioned cradles that rocked the baby were another way to make the move from arms to bed.

Answer by Bmat at 3:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Your child does not need to be broken.
    Some babies need more cuddles than others..
    My DD1 was like this.. It's something we simply got through..
    A mei tai would have helped tremendously, although I didn't have one at the time..
    I nursed her laying in bed for a few extra moments to myself.. Also nursed her on a really flat old pillow, that way when I made the transfer to bed, she didn't notice she was out of my arms as quickly..
    Women who have never had high needs babies like this can give you all the advice in the world, but it most likely WILL NOT WORK for your child..
    My second DD is one of those babies you can put down - even while still slightly awake.. Now I see how the advice other moms give COULD work, but my DD1 would have NONE of that..
    *Shrug*
    It's just something you learn to live with and adjust to.
    It's reassuring to know, though, that your bond is going to be incredible.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter was like this. She would also sleep in her swing or her stroller, but other than that only in our arms. I had always thought she hated being swaddled (people always offered that for advice), but around 8 weeks I tried again, and eureka! I used those swaddler blankets with velcro on them, but the miracle blanket worked miracles on my second baby (lol). If you haven't tried that recently, I would. SO I would swaddler her, she'd cry at first, then I'd feed her a little or bounce, her, whatever you to do help her go to sleep. Then I'd ease her into her bassinet, and she'd sleep well.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have the same problem, in fact my 2 month old is only this week starting to break. Try moving her to something like a bed pillow about 30 mins after she falls asleep. lay next to her and wrap your arm around her. Sometimes they just want to feel your breath. Try it for a while. then move on to maybe a matress on the floor or your bed. Itl take time but now my daughter sleeps in her crib. Granted to get her that far she still falls asleep on my chest. ;) good luck.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 2:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009