diet soda?

i drink diet coke and used sweet n low for my tea. is this ok when preggo? i know that i have to limit my caffeine but does the diet part bad for baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes the aspertame is bad for the baby. I quit drinking pop all together while I was pregnant for that reason
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 4:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• tho there are studies that say it is bad, there are 3 times as many saying it has no effect at all on your baby. In moderation it is fine. millions of diabetics use this while preg, and their babies are fine. If you can find a soda with another sweetener that may be better but the occassional soda will nto hurt the baby. :o) good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• There is limitted research on the effects of artificial sweeteners on an unborn baby. I feel that no research plus knowing the fact that it is something that's artificial is enough of a reason to stay away from it.

I waited until my third trimester to drink any (just a little bit) of caffeine. It is most dangerous in the first trimester. Caffeine is an addictive substance...I personally wouldn't expose a baby to it now (after seeing how my son reacted after having breast milk when I accidently had caffeine and didn't know it) and regret drinking it while pregnant.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Use Splenda as a sweetner, it is safe to use during pregnancy
    Anonymous

• My doc said diet soda is fine, as long as you don't use it as your only source of water. I use Sweet n' Low all the time, and it has had no effect on my baby. In fact, the hospital dietician recommended I use Sweet n' Low. If you look hard enough, you will find a study that recommends not eating a certain kind of food while pregnant. Follow your instinct and common sense. If you want to ward off all sodas, then go for it. But you're not a bad mother for drinking one diet soda a day, or for having caffiene in moderation.
    redmoonintexas

Answer by redmoonintexas at 5:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009