FEBRILE SEIZURES???

My son is 15 months old an has had his first seizure ever. The doctor called it a febrile seizure which is caused by fevers an can last up until he is 3 has anyone else ever experienced this??

Litlegourd

Asked by Litlegourd at 4:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son had one in January (he was 12 months) and it was the scariest thing ever. What you need to do now is just monitor your son's temp very closely when he gets a fever and treat it with Tylenol. It's really not as bad as it seems. Apparently my husband and his 2 brother all got them and they can run in families. Of course my husband didn't know since he was the youngest and my mother in law failed to mention it..... He's had a fever since then, but we just made sure to keep the fever under control and he didn't have a seizure.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son had one when he was 18 months old. VERY SCARY! He's 11 now and never had another one. When he did get a fever, we treated it with Tylenol and Motrin. You give a dose of one and then 4 hrs later, give a dose of the other. For some reason, the combo of these works. More than likely, he won't have another one, but if he does get a fever, start treating right away. My dd is 2 years and we treat her fevers as soon as they start.
    shanny1969

Answer by shanny1969 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• My Two year old has had about 3 or 4 episodes I think they started around 6 or 9 months can't really remember and the last one was just a few month ago.  He always had really high fevers with them like the starting point of the seizures is about 104.  The first couple he just kinda went out of consciousness and his body would jump a few times then it would stop and it would happen again a little later and that happened a few times. One of them he went out of consciousness and he body was jumping and he sounded like he was choking and he started turning blue and it lasted a long time we called 911 for every episode. The most resent one when he was two he wasn't feeling well I picked him up and laid him in my arms and he was responding to me and I thought he was just falling asleep then I realized when I said something he did not respond at all and would not open his eyes after repeating " baby open your eyes" over and over
    MercifulMommy

Answer by MercifulMommy at 1:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• (con't) and when he opened he eye's he didn't say anything just moved his eye's back and forth he was back to normal in an hour. The ones when he was younger they hospitalized him twice for a few days they ran some MRI, Cat Scan, EEG, and 24 EEG and didn't find anything so they think it was just febrile seizures and they told me they can last till they are 6 years old scary huh! But they did give us a suppository to give him if he goes in to one and has trouble breathing or if it last more than 5 mins. They say they are normal and that it just scares the parent and is not harmful to the child unless they have trouble breathing or if it lasts like hours. We just watch his fever close and try and keep it down but it is hard when he has a fever it doesn't stay down long before it goes back up but we do the Tylenol and Motrin thing also the doctor said that is ok they are different so you can give them both one every three hours
    MercifulMommy

Answer by MercifulMommy at 1:41 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• I mean switch them off every three hours cause the Motrin has to have 6 hours between doses so you are giving the Tylenol between the Motrin dose. I hope this helps you and I pray you will not see any future episodes.

MercifulMommy

Answer by MercifulMommy at 1:44 AM on Mar. 15, 2009

• My daughter has had now 4 febrile seizures as of yesterday. Her first one was at 18 months of age, the 2nd/3rd occurred in the same day 5 hours apart and the 4th occur yesterday. We alternate the tyn and motrin but it still doesn't prevent it from happening. The seizure yesterday was 2 hours after having her motrin and well before she was to get the other meds. She fell walking through the dining room onto the back of her head. At one point she stopped breathing. There is family history with an uncle and cousin have seizures and epilepsy as well as she has Apraxia of Speech so today we are asking for a referal to a neurologist to see if there is any corelation.
    krazeerosie

Answer by krazeerosie at 11:12 AM on Apr. 23, 2009