Do you think you can tell what a bi-racial child's parents are just by looking at her/him?

I like to think I can tell when mommy or daddy of a bi-racial child is black; but that's only because a black/white mixed child to me is easier to identify than other ethnic mixes. I can look at a child and tell that one parent is Asian and one is white and maybe when one is black and Asian but I'm not always right. I ask because most of the time when I'm out with my kids we get strange looks, especially because my DD from my 1st marriage is brown like me and my younger one is clearly a caucasian looking only she isn't; my husband is Dutch by nationality but Asian by race and she came out looking like a caucasian little girl with curls. I've been out in public and asked for my business card because someone mistaken me being with my kids as though they were my daycare kids and I've been detained in a Target because when my toddler was having a melt down and was screaming "I don't wanna go with you" when I was trying to exit.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I don't think you can tell with my son! He looks kind of Mexican to me and he does have a little bit, but not very much at all!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Wow that sucks that those things happen to you. I'm sorry!!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Well some people don't think my daughter is mine but I have never been stopped for it. My cousin was shopping with us and a woman thought SHE was the mom because she has dark brown hair and my daughter has curly black hair. I don't believe it crossed her mind that a child doesn't have to look like their parent ( my hair is dirty blonde BTW).

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My friend has this problem a lot. It used to upset her especially when people would ask her if she was her daughters babysitter. One time a lady said to her "Would her Mommy approve of her eating candy?" My friend was like "I'm her Mommy" lol. Honestly, I don't really see race when I look at children. I just see a beautiful child and I think thats how most people see it.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I am always afraid if my biracial son throws a fit in a store, someone will take him from me because he doesn't look like me! How did you know my biggest fear???
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 11:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2009