My two year old wont take a nap!

He gets up at 8am and goes to bed between 8 and 9 pm. Is this enough sleep? Sometimes in the evening he gets a bit grouchy. but other times he is just fine. Should i make him lay down for a nap in the afternoon?

JmgBlair

Asked by JmgBlair at 4:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he isn't sleepy during the day then he isn't. But I think that I'd make him stay in his room for an hour, maybe, for a quiet time. He could have some quiet toys he could play with or some books to look at. Or even a time in the afternoon where you would sit with your feet up and read and he could play quietly near you, just resting, no active play.

Answer by Bmat at 4:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If he's only a "bit grouchy" on some evenings AND he goes to bed easily, then he is getting enough sleep.
    A toddler who is truly grouchy nearly everyday or fights going to bed at night still needs a nap.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my dd is 2 1/2.. and recently i have had to change the way i give her a nap. up until 2wks ago she always went to sleep within 30min of reading a book. but she started goofing off. wanting to talk. ect. so sadly i have started reading her a book.. patting her on her back a few minutes & i leave the room & let her put herself to sleep. she does cry for about 10min but then she does go to sleep alot better on her own..
    he may have grown out of naps. ussually if my dd hasnt had a nap she will be an emotional reck by 4-5pm so i know she still needs them.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter quit naps around 2 years old too, however she still does an hour of quiet time in her bed every day. She's allowd to read or play quietly in her room. Usually she falls asleep! Try right after lunch around 12:30 - 1pm. Good Luck.
    maddysmomma

Answer by maddysmomma at 8:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Some days Ella doesnt want to take a nap either. I still leave her in her crib to relax. I will give her a couple books and leave her in there. She goes to bed at 7 pm and will sleep until 7-7:30 am. Sometimes they jsut arent tired but he still should lay down for a bit of rest
    ellasmommy2007

Answer by ellasmommy2007 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my toddler quit naps pretty early, before 2! It was difficult at first, bc sometimes he would crash out right before dinner, then of course bedtime was a battle. But it's pretty normal and I wouldn't worry about it unless yours is overly cranky. A bit of grouchiness is fine. Maybe on those days start bedtime a little earlier. Mine also goes to bed between 8-9 but when he's really cranky I lay him down around 7:30 and he usually falls asleep right away and still gets up at his normal time in the morning
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2009