How long is breast feeding uncomfortable at first?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone is different, and one woman may have different experiences with different kids. Some women and babies get the hang of it right away and it goes smoothly from day one. Many women experience some pain or discomfort as they and baby learn, and that can last for days or weeks. If you have pain and it's not getting better, contact a lactation consultant. I had a lot of complications getting started and had significant pain, and I would not have been able to do it without my lc.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 4:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It was never uncomfortable for me, it was painful. My nurses helped me and showed me what to do and said everything was right but I had aa chomper and couldn't handle it. I gave up!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• if you are having trouble with latching on properly it will hurt more. But if latching is right then it should only be a few days or a week or so. Try lansinoh cream (or just genberic lanolin) it helps TONS! Good luck and if you can get through the tough part is gets so much better!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It was close to 2 mo. before my daughter and I really had it down. We were hampered by the fact that she was given bottles in the hospital (jaundice and my milk hadn't come in yet) so that didn't help.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Every woman and every baby are different. You could have the world's most perfect latch and still have some discomfort, especially when starting out. It takes time and practice. I was very good at breast feeding even in the beginning but I still had sore nipples. It started to get better when he was maybe 3 weeks old?

You can try to make your nipples feel better by letting them air dry after each feeding with the breast milk drying right on the nipples. Try some Lanolin nipple cream too.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• should only be painful the first month or 2. hang in there mama!
    sheilabug

Answer by sheilabug at 5:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It was bad for me for 6 weeks. It took a while before I was able to correct his lazy latch (he liked to slurp my nipple in... ow) after I was able to get him to do it right it was fine. Although I have periods where I get really sore still. (During growth spurts, teething... when he GOT teeth) but it only lasts a few days and gets better
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• For me it was extremely painful for the first week with bleeding and everything. I even had the lactation nurse everyday come and see us in the hospital to make sure I was doing it right, then just sore for about the second. Now my little girl is 2 months and we have been going very well.

We had to supplement in the beginging due to my daughter being so small only 4lbs 12oz, so I pumped every two hours to give her. I was so discouraged and almost gave up but with the support of my husband it made it worth all of the trouble.
    boddah1

Answer by boddah1 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• First two weeks were very painful then it progressively got better with no pain around week 5.
    Anonymous

• 2 weeks for me with both kids.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2009