Career Change? I'm 25 years old and have been teaching dance FOREVER. I'm the oldest person where I work. (all are under the age of 21) I want to leave but I really REALLY like what I'm doing. However, I dont think I have "skills" other than dancing. I dont really want to go back to school. What do you think my options are? Stay where I am until my body get tired of doing this?

Career Change.
Dance.

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 1:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• You say you really enjoy what you are doing, but want to leave, why? Are you looking for a change of pace? Maybe you need a break. Or try to pursue other interests and cut back on your lessons.

I wouldn't say that your "skills" are limited, you have many skills. Customer Service, Coaching, organzing, and those I just thought off the top of my head. Write down everything you do and look at the list from an employer's view.

Good Luck!
    Pandamom07

Answer by Pandamom07 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If you really like wha tyou are doing, why do you want to leave?
    ejshemil

Answer by ejshemil at 1:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Options?...Hmmmm? I guess you will need to decide what kind of income you would have to make. Right now, with gas prices the way they are and more and more people needing another income...Direct Sales is an industry that you hear a lot about right now. It is being said that Direct Selling works best when times are bad. The buzz is that it has "gigantic room for growth"! I would like to talk with you more about this, if you would like. Options?...Hmmmm? I guess you will need to decide what kind of income you would have to make. Right now, with gas prices the way they are and more and more people needing another income...Direct Sales is an industry that you hear a lot about right now. It is being said that Direct Selling works best when times are bad. The buzz is that it has "gigantic room for growth"! I would like to talk with you more about this, if you would like. We can each grab a cup of coffee and talk. Take Care, LaurieCutch
    LaurieCutch

Answer by LaurieCutch at 2:00 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• What type of dance? Have you considered opening your own studio? I"m a Pole Dancing instructor with Brown Bag Party. I own my own home based business and its really successful. I love that I'm able to stay home with my little boy. Check out my profile if you're interested.
    ColoradoDiva

Answer by ColoradoDiva at 3:20 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If you make fitness a priority or want to I have an amazing work from home job. It is not a get rich quick or pyramid scheme. It is life changing--helping others achieve goals while you achieve your own! committostayfit.net and TeamBeachBody.com/DreamE to check it out. Please feel free to write me if you are at all interested in being on my team or just have questions! There are TONS of dance teachers, yoga instructors, and personal trainers getting involved for additional income! Good luck girlie!
    DreamnBigEliza

Answer by DreamnBigEliza at 8:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My mother-in-law was an instructor and choreographer for a prestigious dance school in Chicago when she decided to start her own Mary Kay business. For her it was just to earn a little extra money on the side as she was paid quite well for her job. She found within a few months that what she was making with her Mary Kay business was equal to and then surpassing her dance salary, so it became a natural shift for her, although she had never dreamed of doing anything other than dance as her career. She's now a Mary Kay Independent Sales Director.

I don't know if Mary Kay would be right for you or not, but I'd be happy to share some more information with you if you're interested, as well as answer any questions you may have. (I'm a Mary Kay Independent Senior Beauty Consultant myself.)
    retz

Answer by retz at 11:26 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't leave right now, if you really enjoying doing this. However, you can look into taking night classes, online classes, or something else to continue your education and prepare you for when you decide your ready to leave dancing. You don't want to quit one day without being prepared and find yourself struggling.
    pam

Answer by pam at 11:28 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I say if you love dance... stay with it... but if you want something part time you can sell avon to everyone you know who dances... so your still around it. Thats what i do. everyone loves it. i can help you if you want just email me... jessica.lozada@yahoo.com or check out my site www.youravon.com/jessicalozada
    jessicalozada

Answer by jessicalozada at 1:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2008