my baby is attatched to my boob...

teething,hungry,crying,any problem really or no problem at all . shesloves the comfort but im worried shes gunna gain too much.is this normal? and am i gunna have enough milk for her with this appetetie?i got big breast but theres only so much it can hold.lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal for many babies to want to comfort themselves by sucking on the breast. Yes, according to What to Expect the First Year, babies who suck at the nipple for comfort can gain too much weight. It is best to encourage her to suck on other things for comfort like a binky or teething ring. Babies should usually feed per breast no more than 15-20 min at a time. If they do longer, they may just be using you as a pacifier.

To make sure your baby IS getting enough milk and isn't doing this because she's hungry take her to the doctor. They will weigh her before you BF and weigh her after you BF and tell you how much she's eating at a time and if it is enough.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• awee, i remmber this this sounds fammailr, it soo annoying, how old is your baby? b/c mine was 3 months when this happned and it turend out he wasnt get enough milk,=(
    Anonymous

• It could just be a growth spurt. The size of your breast really doesn't matter. If she is nursing often enough, your body will make enough milk to keep up with the demand.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Are you sure youre giving her enough milk? She could be really hungry?
    Anonymous

• She won't gain too much, and yes you'll have enough milk. And breast size doesn't matter... lol. I'm not even an A cup, and I bf for 15 months, and never had to supplement.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would bet it's a growth spurt. Just keep feeding like you are it should get better in the next few days.
    There really isn't any reason if you have been breastfeeding fine that your milk would all of a sudden not be enough... EXCEPT if you got your period back. Mine drops by several ounces (in pumping anyway) but it comes back up after AF is done. And he does get hungry... I just supplement with expressed milk and take More Milk Plus during those times
    She might just like to suck too... you could see if she would be happy sucking something like your finger or pacifier
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Normal! This is exactly what your breasts are for, it is not just about the milk. You cannot overfeed a baby at the breast. You will continue to make just the right amount of milk for her. It sounds like you are doing a great job, keep up the good work!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Answered at 5:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 by:

* BlueFrogMama

BlueF...
    She won't gain too much, and yes you'll have enough milk. And breast size doesn't matter... lol. I'm not even an A cup, and I bf for 15 months, and never had to supplement.

I'm gonna back up what you say and with total agreement. I am an A cup and I nursed 3 older babies for 2 years and still nursing my 15 month old.

None of my babies are overweight and there are days they've camped out at the boob what feels like all day. :D

And Maggiemom is correct too. You cannot overfeed the baby at breast. Keep doing what you're doing. As long as you and baby are happy to do so :)
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You will be fine mama! All 3 of my kids were the same way! It can be a pain at times to have a baby that is so attached but its SO worth it! You are doing whats best for them! Good for you!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:08 AM on Mar. 11, 2009