What do you do if your infant only wants to sleep on her stomach?

I havn't been getting much sleep lately, my two month old seems to only sleep when she is held by me. Mostly laying on her stomach on my chest. So for naptime today I layed her down in her crib next to my bed on her stomach, and she's sleeping away. Is it really a big deal to put them to sleep on their stomachs?

airadan

Asked by airadan at 5:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My baby has slept on his stomach from birth. He is now 8 months.
    Anonymous

• So, it sort of sounds like you're pretty much always there while she sleeps? If so, I believe that lowers the SIDS risk. Once she's strong enough to roll over, it won't be a concern.
    Anonymous

• It is a SIDS risk, yes...more so the younger they are. If you're going to let her sleep on her stomach, get yourself an Angel Care monitor for your own peace of mind. (It monitors movement and sounds an alarm if baby stops breathing)

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You could take other steps to reduce SIDS risk as well.
    Anonymous

• True - keeping a fan on in the room reduces the risk of SIDS (circulation of air), no blankets or soft toys in the crib, sleeping with a pacifier reduces the risk of SIDS, hum...that is all I can think of right now.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• just make sure that there is nothing in the crib that she could suffocate herself with. Both my boys were tummy sleepers from about that age until they were older. A lot of the time now I still find them sleeping on their tummies. I had a video monitor, so I could just look up and check on them. A lot of the time I would still have to get out of bed to make sure they were still breathing, because it was hard to tell on the monitor. One of those Angel Care monitors would have been nice!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Mine would only sleep on her tummy too. I stripped her crib of everything - no bumper pads, no stuffed animals, no blankets - got an AngelCare monitor for peace of mind, and let her sleep.

Yes, back sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS. But not every kid will sleep on her back. What then? The risk of SIDS is about one child in every 2000. Back sleeping cuts that to one child in every 4000. Other things that reduce the risk that you can still do with a tummy sleeper:
    Sleeping with a pacifier.
    Sleeping with a fan on.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My dd slept on her tummy from birth...She will be 3 and is still sleeping on her tummy!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 5:48 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• As long as you're right there making sure she doesn't have her face/nose covered or stuffed into the mattress she'll be fine. The only reason tummy sleeping is a hazaard is because it can promote suffocation if they aren't strong enough to turn their heads away yet. I let my son nap on his tummy all the time as long as he was right next to me but at night in his crib I always made sure he was on his back. He's 7 months now and is starting to roll over on his tummy at night but I'm not too concerned because he's more than strong enough to turn his head and/or roll back over.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i really think that it depends on the baby and the situation.. when i was a first time mom almost two years ago now, i was extremely worried about the same thing! i could only get my son to sleep while laying on my chest and eventually around two months or so, he would sleep alone... but ONLY on his stomach! i would say just make sure to check on your baby, and if she seems to be doing okay with it, go ahead. just make sure there aren't blankets and pillows all around. sids was always a thought in the back of my mind, like im sure many first time moms as well. but he is a healthy almost two year old! good luck!
    juandmad09

Answer by juandmad09 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009