Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Termination of Rights, due to DISINTEREST

I just came to understand that here in ny, the custodial parent can petition the non-custodial for relinquishment of his/her rights on the ground of extreme parental disinterest and failure of reasonable efforts. Well, 1st I had to take my dd's father to court b/c he denied her, so paternity was established. While carrying her he told me that it made no sense to bring a fatherless child in to the world. She's now 8 months and he hasn't seen her yet. We're going to court in a few days to est. child support and rights. My question is, do I have to wait to see if he continues disinterest towards her to place a petition or can I try to slip this request in during the upcoming proceeding? I know you're thinking, what's the rush, but I have my reasons and one of them includes a better life for my dd. I wouldn't want him to interfere with that.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • He has made it crystal clear that he wants no part of this child's life. I think I'd try to find out what I needed to do to place that petition at your upcoming hearing. Good luck.

    Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • I'm not sure about the laws in NY, but here if you get a parent to agree to give up parental rights, they no longer are responsible for child support


    Answer by MicahsMom612 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • My question would be if you relinquish his rights you would also relinquish the babys right to child support from him so I would carefully consider that, especially if moneyt is not an issue right now you never know what the future holds, plus I personally would enjoy to see his hard earned money being taken from him.

    Answer by Mommy3b1g at 5:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • I would see about it at the hearing, or ask abou tit before hand and do it all that dy. But pp is right, in most (if not all) states if you give up rights you also don't have to pay child support as far as I know.

    Answer by AK_aries at 5:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • K....I'll check it out to see if that includes the c/s issue.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • Same here Micahsmom. ...In our state the parent is still responsible for back child support. but nothing for the future.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 6:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • they do not terminate rights unless your spouse is willing to adopt. The do not want a child without a father. They will tell you is a rash decisions to even consider right now. The child is not even a year old.

    Answer by ZaTa at 6:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

  • Girl 8 months of him not seeing her, just do what you need to do!

    Answer by camtri3 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.