Ouch....maybe a little TMI...breastfeeding

My son is 9 months old and has been EBF from day one. I never had the horror stories of dry, chapped, cracked nipples, etc but he did have thrush 4 or 5 times before we could get rid of it. Well now, since yesterday my nipples are SUPER sore and bleeding. Like so bad that when I pumped at work this morning, my milk was pink. I know I can't give it to him, and it hurts a ton when I pump or try and nurse and today he was totally uninterested in nursing at all! Any ideas as to what this could be? I've tried lanolin cream, and his mouth isn't white so I dont think it could be thrush....any help would be appreciated

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it could be thrush... he just might not have any signs yet. If he doesn't want to eat his mouth might hurt.
    You can give him the milk though it you want... it seems kind of gross but the blood won't hurt him.
    Anonymous

• I have no idea what it could be, but I would deffianly check with your doctor! You poor thing, I feel so bad for you... best of luck!
    mnmommy1

Answer by mnmommy1 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It could still be thrush, he could have it and not have any symptoms. My daughter and I have had thrush off and on for a few months, and I usually only notice it when I start getting cracked and bleeding.
    Anonymous

• It can be thrush, often baby has no symptoms. Just FYI you CAN give him that "pink" pumped milk. Breastmilk is full of white blood cells, a few red blood cells will not hurt him! I know it seems kind of gross, but milk with blood in it is fine for baby.
    Try an "all purpose" nipple cream. It has antifungal medicine for yeast/thrush, as well as antibiotic, it is kind of a catch all. Here is a recipe for home made nipple cream: Miconazole (over the counter, OTC) hydrocortisone (OTC) polysporin antibacterial ointment. Combine and use in small amounts after feeding, don’t need to wash it off before feeding.

You probably should have the Dr. take a look if it doesn't get better soon!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Maybe you are pregnant. This happened to one of my good friends and then she found out she was pregnant...and she was on birth control.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Are BOTH of you being treated for the thrush at the same time?? This may be the key...
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 5:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2009