• In the Spotlight:

I can't get my kids to eat

Help me I am about done with all of it. My DD is 4 years old and she will sit there and tell me she is hungry even ask for diner, but then when I put it at the table she wont even take a bite all she does is play around mess with her sister she will lay on her chair with her legs in the air whatever, but she wont eat. My 14 month old use to be pretty good about eating she use to eat better then my 4 year old and she use to eat everything on her plate, but for the past week or two she hardly eats her dinner. She eats snacks but if it is dinner or lunch she hardly eats she throws it on the floor help I am going crazy. Do I keep it until they eat it?? Not even 10 minutes after dinner and they don't eat they complain they are hundry. What to do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• If they refuse to eat lunch or dinner then they wouldn't be allowed to have anything to snack on. There will be times when my kids refuse to eat, I wrap up their food and when they get hungry I make them eat it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Take away the snacks! I've never known a child to intentionally starve themselves when food is available! You buy the food, you can decide what is permitted in the house! Only offer healthy snacks--fruits,veggies, granola bars, etc.. Sure, they may protest for a day or two at best, but eventually, they'll be hungry enough to eat what's there! Remember the human stomach is only about the size of their closed fist! A snack may be more than enough to satiate them.

You could also have your 4 year old help you make lunch and dinner. Might make her more interested if she has a "say" in dinner choices--just make the choices a win-win for you...whatever she picks is healthy!

I also recommend looking for "quick kids meals" they're fun, easy to make, and healthy!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009