How did you decide to med. your child?

My son has bi-polar I knew when he was a toddler he would have problems.He has had many issues and has been in special needs at school with the help of meds he will be mainstreamed for High-school next year!

All this time my dd who turns 7 in May has watched her brothers behaviors and it is the norm for her but, she also has a strong personality.I say the only attention problem I feel she has is that she wants it all!!!

The teachers feel she should be on a med.Our schools have budget cuts and don't have the staff to spare when there are issues in a classrooms but,I feel thats no reason to put my kid on drugs.

My son has grown up without being giggly or silly just kinda there cause of meds I cannot take that away from her!I don't want to sound like an idiot when I go to confrence .What would you say/do???????????????

mamamom431

Asked by mamamom431 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• From what i have seen, it seems like all the schools ever want to do is put the kids on a bunch of drugs. If their acting up they must need drugs! it's ridiculous. if you dont want your DD to be put on medication then dont!!! And make it clear that you have no intention of druging her up. ...However, if you feel like she does have some issues it might be agood time to look into more natural remedies. There are a lot of things out ther that can help with moods. Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Without a diagnosis, I'd be damned if the school is going to insist on medicating my children! Children ARE supposed to be giggly and silly...being zoned out is no way to go through life. Who are you helping? The kid or the parents/teachers?

My children are 7 and 5 and both diagnosed autistic...we'll be damned if we're going to put them on adult medications to make OUR lives easier. I consider medication in young children to be the easy way out. What happens when your child misses a dose, or becomes and adult and either forgets or you're not around to make sure he takes it? Has he learned HOW to cope when he's NOT on his meds?

Parenting isn't easy, meds don't make it any easier in the long run.
    Anonymous

• my son was kicked out of preschool because i wouldnt put him on meds. So far 2 teachers have requested for me to medicate him, the other 4 say he is great (I switched him out of the 2 teachers classrooms). It depends on the teacher. I think some just don't know how to handle kids. I will not medicate my kids just because a teacher wants him to be compliant completely. The kids are young and need to be allowed to be kids not zombies.
    Anonymous

• I think you will have to make the choice wheather or not you want to med the child for school only, or if she needs it all the time, I hear several people med for school only, I would not, but that is me, if the child does not need meds all the time , than why do it for school, if you can handle her at home, than they should be able to handle her at school, I think it may turn out to be a trail and area, and you will have to see what is better for your daughter and you. Hope it all works out for your family. dinahinabox@aol.com---mother to a special needs child of multiple medical needs..
    dinahinabox178

Answer by dinahinabox178 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with the 1st poster if they keep buging you about it tell them her doctor didnt think she needed it end of disustion.
    Anonymous

• Why do they want to put her on medication? What is her diagnosis? When did they get their PhD to prescribe medications anyway?

I don't even think there's a question since there's no diagnosis.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Talk to her DR. and insist on running test first! My son was having problems in school it turned out not to be ADHD but a side effect of his Asama meds.!
    one_texas_son

Answer by one_texas_son at 12:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I agree with TiccledBlue. When that teacher pulls a M.D. for pediatrics out of her ass then she can start dishing out diagnosis's. Until then she can make you aware of classroom behavior problems. She can tell you that your daughter's not listening, that she is disrupting class, chewing gum, or whatever it is that she is doing. However, it is not her place to tell you that your daughter has a medical problem and that she needs to be medicated.
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 8:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• For me it took 2 years in an early intervenion pre school and a year and a half in regular grade school. I made the school do everything possible first. If they think she is special needs there are protocol that they need to follow. They need to have a needs assessment done, which includes a sort of diary from the teachers, social worker at school, the nurse and an independant third party who will observe your daughter in school. Then they have to send her to a doctor. My sons school sent him to a neuro psychiatrist when he was in K. It was the wrong doc and he was too young to really follow what the doc wanted him to do. I made the school do every conveivable behavior intervention that was possible. Then when I realized nothing was working, and my son was suffering, I went to a child psychiatrist and a counselor. They and I agreed that meds would be the only thing that would help. Of course I still made sure, contd

jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 12, 2009

• that the school was continuing with the behavior intervention. Like a pp said if they dont know how to control themselves off of meds we are doing them no good. My DS is now 13 and in an alternative junior high. It is what is best for him. He is still on meds and doing great. His only issue is school. He excels at sports and has no problems at home or at friends houses. Like one of the special ed coordinators told me, for DS school is toxic. I fully believe that not all children can function in a regualr school setting. This is what I did for my son to decide if meds were really what was right for him. They had been trying since he was in K to get him on meds. I believed like a lot of people that meds were and only for lazy parents. Thats bull. You do what is best for your child. No one knows what is best except you. It bothers me when people are jugemental, saying they would never med their child. Unless you are cont...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 12, 2009