colic

my niece is 4 weeks old as of last saturday I was wondering if any of you have had a baby with colic We where wondering what you did to get through it we have read lots of stuff online but I would like some info from real moms.. what have you done and how long did you have to deal with it.. I have never had a baby with colic so I have no clue...

karlysmommy

Asked by karlysmommy at 5:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is almost 4months old. She was diagnosed with full blown colic and had it until she was 12wks old. Thats when it usually goes away.All she did was cry all day and all night long. She never slept for more than 10minutes at a time. Now I am still dealing with her crying because we are trying to find out if she is allergic to cows milk which is sometimes a cause of colic and after the colic was gone she was diagnosed with Acid Reflux which is usually confused with colic. So that might be something that they get the baby tested for. It might help to find out now instead of later. I wish I had and possible change her formula to Enfamil Nutramigen it's for babies with colic and a sensitivety to cows milk protein. Wrap a warm towel around them. Just stay calm and make sure you have someone to help. They need all the help they can get.
    Anonymous

• My son will be 3 months next week. My husband and I notice he doesn't have colics anymore maybe once every 3 days. Before it used to be every day at every feeding which stopped when he turned 2 months. We used Gripe Water when he had it and it only calmed his colic a bit. My doctor prescribed infant gas relief drops and he told us in order for it to work we had to give it to him once a day at the same time. We haven't used them because he doesnt have colic no more.
    Anonymous

• My son was born 5 weeks early. One morning when he was about three weeks old he woke up crying, and he didn't stop for.... 4 1/2... long..... long months. First the baby should be assessed by a pediatrician to make sure there are no underlying issues going on and ALL avenues should be exhausted before colic is given as a diagnosis. In my sons case he had bilateral inagural hernias, bilateral club feet IBS and severe Gerd (reflux) until we got all of these things worked through the thing that worked best fro us (and we still use it today) is a dvd by dr harvey karp called the happiest baby on the block as well as the cd that goes with it. Also my son went from sleeping 15 minutes at a time to 4 hours at a time wehn we let him sleep in his swing and started sleeping through the night at 3 months old in his swing ultimately it is something you just have to ride out but as a family member I urge you to help out as much as you cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• can and rally your family and friends to do teh same. I can not even describe the kind of prison ccolic creates and the horrible horrible feelings it makes you feel. We went through it on our since no one wanted to help and I am honestly surprised we all survived. I never thought about hurting my baby but hurting myself often occured and I couldnt even get a break long enough to go to therapy to cope with ppd. The most miserable 5 months of my life. Please be good to your sister and help her as much as possible
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Yeah, it's awful, but it does pass. Most of my advice has been said already, but the things I found most important were: breaks from the baby (and trying not to feel guilty toward the person dealing with the crying in my place; or even put baby in crib, step outside for 15 minutes -- baby is ok), baby's naps in stroller, carseat (while driving) and in the swing, tight swaddling and bouncing (my husband bounced her up and down in this repetitive motion), holding her across my arm on her tummy... General rule of thumb, anything that makes you uncomfortable makes them comfortable (lol). which is why it's so hard. Usually weeks 3-6 are the worst, and then 6-12 get somewhat better. Usually after 12 weeks it really goes down or is gone. They feel ridiculously long at the time, but those weeks are really only a short time in a life with the baby.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Try Gripe Water...something with Oil of Fennel in it. The best brand, to my knowledge, is called Kolik but it is a Canadian Brand. You can order at www.feelbest.com Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 7:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2009