what action do you take, when your child is acting out in public??

My son is 2 and he is definatel in the terrible 2 phase. It seems even more so when we are in public, he just can't seem to sit still and he has to act out..what do you do to get your child to behave??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This old fashion method called spanking, works wonders!!!
    Anonymous

• I give my son a warning and if he refuses to behave we leave. I take him back to the car and put him in time out. ...OR if it's really bad we just leave. go back home and i put him in timeout. ...I only had to do that a few times before he realized that going shopping is more fun then sitting in his car seat or in the corner at home.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• 1.) Go out when they're rested, have full bellies, and a fresh diaper/used the potty.
    2.) Make shopping QUICK! Children have short attention spans, don't make them have to sit still or wait in line forever.
    3.) Go shopping when hubby gets home by MYSELF! I get so much more accomplished that way. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i havnt gotten to try it yet but what works for my friends is the 'do we need to go to the bathroom and have a little chat?!' threat. usually it all ends with those few words lol.
    Anonymous

• im telling you, ive tried it all...and i cant find anything thats working for him...ive did spankings and it doesnt phase hom one bit..he likes sitting in the corner for some odd reason..sigh i just dont know what to do..hes a good kid and its like he only misbehaves in public.
    Anonymous

• he may be able to feel your fear.... My dd is good with me in public. but if i give dh the cart & walk away 9/10 times she starts screaming for no reason. she just wants to be loud. and i think its because as soon as she does this he gets all red faced, not knowing what to do & starts giving her attention (telling her to hush)..
    If she acts inappropriate with me in public it depends on what i know is best. sometimes ignoring their behavior is best.. yes people are gonna give a dirty look but WHO CARES!, obviously they dont have kids or remember what its like to be in that position.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My DD gets the same reaction from me when she acts up in public as she does when we are in the privacy of our own home. I have no problem disciplining my child in front of strangers.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 7:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My daughter loves to pull my hair and kick and scream. I simply just leave the place we are at and we sit in the car until her dad can come out. Leaving does have an effect on them because it shows that you won't put up with their behavior and they cannot have any fun because of it.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 7:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree with leaving. Fortunately DD hasn't thrown too many fits in public (she's 16 months) but she has had a few. I simply scoop her up like a football (she's usually thrashing too much for me to carry her any other way) and walk outside with her. I have never gotten a dirty look. I find if you start screaming at your kid in the store, yes, you will get dirty looks. But if I see someone looking at me, I give them a, "Well, what can ya do?" smile, and I usually get a sympathetic smile back.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• really dont care if people look at me while im disciplininig my child, i just which he would obey. I never yell or scream at him as i find that simply doesn't work but i have spanked him on the hand and it just doesnt phase him.
    Anonymous