What natural product can I use to keep ants out of my garden???

actress

Asked by actress at 5:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Tip #2: Protect Plants Without Pesticides

If you're a new gardener, chances are you'll be surprised by some sort of infestation before the growing season is over. Connect with local gardeners to determine the most common problems in your region, then look for organic fixes. Many pest-control solutions can be concocted from household items. For example, aphids are deterred by garlic and cayenne pepper, slugs find eggshells unappealing, and ants (who can exacerbate an aphid problem) dislike coffee grounds and vinegar. Before you apply organic treatments, be sure to research their effect on beneficial insects like ladybugs.

I got this from my green life email today! Here is a link to the page http://sierraclub.typepad.com/greenlife/
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Sprinkle cornmeal. They eat it and it supposedly expands in their stomachs and kills them. I've also read to sprinkle used coffee grounds to repell them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Ants can be attracted to your container gardens. The cool, moist ground under the pots is perfect place for a colony to live. The ants then reproduce and soon you will have a large problem.
    Mix boric acid, sugar and water in small dish.

What You Need:
    1 glass jar with lid
    1 cup sugar
    2 cups of water
    3 teaspoons or 3 capsules of Boric acid
    Absorbant material, such as cotton balls or fabric

Place absorbent material into jar. Pour boric acid solution over the absorbent material.
    Screw lid onto jar and punch holes in the lid. Place jar on its side, next to containers.
    Replenish mixture once a month.

Tips:
    Move containers around to keep ants from setting up their nests. Moving every couple of days will be enough. You only need to move container enough so that the bottom is on new ground.
    Some ants are not bothersome but are unsightly. Find out what variety of ant you have and see if they
    bergencounty

Answer by bergencounty at 8:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2009