okay, My daughter is 6 months old now, and sometimes i call her mom, like a nickname i guess, or term of endearment? well my husband hates it! but he is still on deployment, and says i will confuse her and make her want to be a mom early in life! which i think is stupid! anyways, do any of you guys ever use the word mom like that?

december911

Asked by december911 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I call my daughter mommy all the time. I am 1/2 hispanic and that is a very common thing in that culture to call the girls mommy and the boys papi . I don't think it's confusing. How many people call their child pumpkin? Do their children actually go around thinking they're pumpkins...no.
    Anonymous

• sorry, i think that really is strange and def. will be confusing for your daughter.

I only use the word mom or mommy when i talk about myself or my mother or any other mother. but my daughter is a daughter and not a mother, yet. she has many years to go until she can be called a mom ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• i sometimes say "hi mama" to DD... I don't think it would confuse a child or anything but its not you and I raising your child so me agreeing with you means nothing. Maybe you should come up with a different nickname for your child if your DH hates it that much.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 6:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We call my baby girl mama and I never thought about how it is going to make her think in the future but just refute your hubby by telling him maybe she will hate the nickname so much that she won't want to have kids to call her that.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 6:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I call my daughter mama and sometimes say mom...
    jenniek510

Answer by jenniek510 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Thank you!! I am from texas, and grew up around hispanic families, that is where i picked it up, but i just see it as a term of endearment!

I call my daughter mommy all the time. I am 1/2 hispanic and that is a very common thing in that culture to call the girls mommy and the boys papi . I don't think it's confusing. How many people call their child pumpkin? Do their children actually go around thinking they're pumpkins...no.
    december911

Answer by december911 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have a friend who calls her 5 year old "mama" sometimes, and she isn't confused at all.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2009