Do you belong to a labor union?

I'm concerned about the Employee Free Choice Act and would like to hear from individuals who belong to a labor union. Is your labor union a good thing or a bad thing?

Dyndudes

Asked by Dyndudes at 6:40 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, never have and hopefully never will. Problem with EFCA is that you could go home one day and when you return to work, you could be a union shop. All they need is 50% + 1 and it's a done deal.

I am really surprised that nobody else has answered this.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I was a union emplyee and many of my family were and some still are. The EFCA is not a good idea. You have to remember that this is part of the reason that the unions campaigned and voted for Obama. He did promise them things that the president has no business interferring in. Union business is union business and the government is the government. Should not go hand and hand. Case in point. The auto workers union has been critisized for not helping out the big 3 and now we are asking the public to support a union decision. Not really a fair game to me.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The fact that this could happen scares me to death. What I learned today is my "work group" could vote to be union and I might not even know about it. They don't have to ask me or tell me they are even having discussions. I do live in a Right-to-Work state so I wouldn't have to join the union, but I would get the same salary and benefits that were negotiated for the union workers.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I was in the union for a while... with the labor laws as they are I don't see the point in having a union..
    If the factory has a union:
    1-most employees can not decline signing up for it, without lossing the job opportunity.
    2-Most if not all Unions require a fee. Some are fix (one I worked at was $20 a month) while others are based on pay.
    3-Most of them don't help a worker.. unless you are the troublesome worker that knows how to play their cards right... which hurts the company.
    4-Where a company can instill their own rules about vacations/etc.. most companies without labor unions tend to be more lenient to taking personal time off.. while unions give you set amounts of days.. and you get strikes for anything above and beyond that.
    I know one job, I could take off any time I needed as long as I made up my 40 hours a week in overtime.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I worked for a company that had union electricians. The office staff wasn't unionized. Many of the union electricians were out of work 6 months out of the year. They couldn't take other jobs in the meantime, so if they didn't save money while they were working, they were screwed. Most quit the union eventually.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My husband was a union electrician for 15 years. The only good thing was the medical coverage. He was laid off a good amount of the year as the pp stated.Last year he left the union and started his own shop, and has worked steadily ever since.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 1:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2009