How to Become a Doula

Hi! I wanted to know how to get started? I know that you can get certified online. I've been on DONA and some other websites. What's a good one to go with and where to from there? How did you get your "hands on" experience? Thanks so much!

IanAndMillasMom

Asked by IanAndMillasMom at 6:57 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just completed my training with Childbirth International. They are online and you dont have to recertify like you do with DONA. I know alot of girls who went through DONA and they have alot of restrictions on their doula's but they are also the miost reccognized and respected so do your research and see what kind of doula you want to be before you commit to any of them. I REALLY liked CBI and they have a payment plan you can pay it off in 3 or 6 months. On their website there are free classes that show you a bit of what you are getiting into. Also you should think about contacting your local hospitals, I know a few around here will pay for your training if you volunteer for them for a period of time afterwards. That way you get your hands on experience also. I think another one is ALACE. I really dont know to much about them though. Let me know if you ned anymore info, I love to talk doula with anyone who will listen!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 7:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009