How to rid my cat from peeing on the floor?

Thankfully this has only ever happened on the basement floor which happens to be unfinished. It's not so bad scrubbing the cement, although I still don't like doing it!

My male cat is fixed and about 6 months ago had a bladder infection so he peed on the floor outside the litter box. We gave him the meds and got rid of it. He is still peeing outside of the box. I took him to the vet a week or so ago and they said his bladder felt fine. I requested a urinalysis and they did one. Everything was normal. All I can think is that his problem is now a behavioral issue that won't stop! I've scrubbed the floor numerous times, clean the pans on a daily basis (he has 2 of his own and my other cat has one in a different area), and I've tried putting unpleasant things in the spot like aluminum foil. Nothing works.

What do I do now?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Pets

• Have him tested for FLUTD which is short for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disorder (I think it's disorder and not disease). My cat was doing the same thing often and he got to the point where he was losing so much urine he dehydrated as there was no fluids in his system anymore.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:56 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Spray it with ammonia.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• try putting pepper or ammonia where it is urinating.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 1:46 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Move and get rid of the cat.

OR, take him to the vet and have them check for a UTI, which is common (and dangerous) in male cats. If you rule out moving, getting rid of the cat, and a UTI, clean that floor with pepper and ammonia. Scrub it til your hands bleed, seriously. And if you can, keep him out of that area.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 7:17 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I have one cat who does this too, she will be on paper if it is on the floor. She has peed on jeans we had on the bathroom floor. She is terrible. our other cat is so much better. I wonder if she is acting out sometimes.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• Our cat was reacting to stressful times in our home and started urinating outside of the litterbox. She even has two litterboxes. We were in and out a lot taking care FIL with parkinson's, brain surgery, my MIL with alzheimers, and their daughter SIL with mental illness. Our home was like a revolving door. In addition we purchased new furniture so the furniture our cat enjoyed laying on was moved to a different room. I had her checked out at the vet to rule out anything physical. He advised that any one thing could upset a cat to pee outside the box. Soooo he prescribed
    Prozac. What we did was put her in a dog kennel large enough with her litterbox an area for food and bedding. When we cleaned out her litterbox, she was gated in the kitchen. We did this for a month. At the end of the month, she was let back out of the kennel. She was back to being social and using her litterbox. It worked for us. Good Luck.
    blujeanlady62

Answer by blujeanlady62 at 7:06 AM on Mar. 12, 2009

• Sarah, getting rid of the cat is out of the question.

Thanks everyone else that responded!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 12, 2009