How do I wash my 3 y/o's hair without her screaming?

Every time we have to wash my DD's hair she totally freaks out. She has beautiful long hair, I'm to the point of just cutting it all off so we don't have this battle anymore. She says that she gets soap and water in her eyes. We have tear free soap and I know water doesn't hurt. She freaks when we wash her face too... Any ideas?

pixiemom78

Asked by pixiemom78 at 7:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Make a game out of it... while in the bath, ask your dd to pour a little water on her own head ... she how she re acts to that... let her keep doing it... even let her pour a little water on your head show her that you are not afraid of the water... get her some of "Her special shampoo" maybe some fruity/princess stuff... ask Her to put a drop of in on her hair and rub it in... and have her rinse it out.... this is how I got  my dd out of the fear of hair washing...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have one of those cups with a rubber end you find at Walmart, Kylie loves it! She never was bad about her hair but Byron HATES it! Just do your best and if you have to cut it , I know it's rough because I just cut my daughter Kylie's hair to her shoulders and it was well over half way down her back, it'll grow back though!! Good luck!
    KylieByronsMom

Answer by KylieByronsMom at 7:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I agree get that cup with the rubber thing...they sale them at Walmart like a pp mentioned and also Target. Both in the baby section.

A lot of kids don't like water on their faces. I think it just scares them.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• tell her the water monster will eat her and pull her down the drain if she starts screaming again.
    Anonymous

• They do go through a stage like that, all of mine did. Once I taught them to look up, I used the Dora, "look up at the stars!" And then made an effort not to get water on her face, just for the freaky factor. They get over it eventually.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 12:15 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We have a plastic cup with the rubber thing, that doesn't help. We have her look up and hold a dry washcloth over her eyes, doesn't help either. She still cries and screams if even a drop of water gets near her face. We have threatened, bribed, punished, and rewarded. Things work for one or two nights, then we are back to the same old-same old. I just don't know what to do anymore...

pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 7:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I spank butts for screaming. A tantrum in the bathtub is very dangerous. GIve her a washcloth to hold over her eyes.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• They have cute hats that are just for bathing! they look like little visor caps, they are foam
    check out i believe www.onestepahead.com

camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 11, 2009