My 18 month old still wont say a word!

My 18 month old won't try to talk or say words. He doesn't even try. He can say mama and dada and those are the only 2 words he can say. The doctors said by 2 he should be saying small sentences but i'll be lucky if i can get him to say a word. They said if he's still not talking by 2 then I should consider speech therapy, but is there anyone else who's little one isnt talking? What could be wrong, and is there anything I can do. I'm always working with him

babygirl9304627

Asked by babygirl9304627 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 18 month old doesn't say any words- not even mama or dada...She was referred to Early Childhood Intervention by the speech pathologist here and they are coming out next month to see if she qualifies.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Kids talk when they are ready and 18 months is still really young. Also boys take longer to talk then girls. Most boys I know started talking between 2 - 2 1/2. Make sure you are talking to him as much as possible, read A TON of books.
    maddysmomma

Answer by maddysmomma at 8:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Input is the most important thing, so I agree, lots of books. He's learning the words. He may just start speaking in those sentences! Some kids do.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son had a hard time hearing which is why he didn't talk for a long time. Have you checked that out? Also, teaching him some sign language could really help any frustration he or you could be having.
    micurdal

Answer by micurdal at 8:42 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my son is 16 months and still dosent say anything. :( i wish he did
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 8:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would have an evaluation done through Early Intervention. It never hurts to get a professional opinion. My nephew didn't say more than a word or two at that age and after a few weeks of speech therapy he was jabbering away and no longer required services.
    Not talking could just be that he's not ready/doesn't want to or could be a sign of a bigger problem so act now. Early Intervention will provide services up to age 3 and then after that the public school system takes over.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• If he is developing fine in all other areas I wouldnt worry right off, it could just meant he is using all his time and energy focusing on how to use is fingers every way he can, or putting the square shaped cube into the matching shape on his toy. Maybe exploring the feeling and texture of his stuft animal and what the differences are. I believe if a child is completely invested in learning one thing he's not going to pay much attention to something less fascinating at the time. Also if he knows to obey a command that means he understands the words you are saying. All in all children have thier own personalities, and they all develop at thier own speed. My son is 15 months old can say several words but cannot eat with a spoon yet... not because he cant, if he wanted to im sure he would, but hes just not interested.
    cj_letourneau07

Answer by cj_letourneau07 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• before you get too deep into serious reasons, you might try working on simpler things like introducing him to a steady group of children his age that are actively talking. work with him on sign language with his words - watch plenty of interactive shows that encourage audience participation. encourage him with kind words and treat his simple successes. make a big fuss over every little noise and sound he produces just to let him know you love hearing his voice. you can put his hand on your throat and make different noises so he can feel the vibrations and then try to let him do it. put labels on the important stuff (his bed, toys, kitchen items, furniture). show him pictures of family members and repeat their names to him. just try not to worry so much about when he'll develop his speech and offer him unconditional love and support - it's the best thing you can do as a parent!
    mommaruth07

Answer by mommaruth07 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Neither of my boys were talking by 18 months. I had my pediatrician give me information of Early Intervention services. They were evaluated at home, and the state provided in-home speech and occupational therapy until they were 3. During that time I had both of their hearing testing, and they passed.

I don't mean to scare you, but both of my children ended up being diagnosed autistic--they are high-functioning--verbal, potty trained, and typical in every other way except speech (one has an auditory processing disorder, the other is hyperlexic--both can read, spell, write, and are at or above grade level, but have difficulty understanding written and oral directions--comprehension).

As difficult as it may to think your child has a developmental delay--they earlier you address the issues the better the outcome--and it may turn out to be nothing to worry about! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2009