Step child support for college

What are my rights as a step mom with regards to my husband giving financial support to my step daughter who entered college.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in General Parenting

• what do you mean? You have no rights as a stepmother over your stepchild
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• What do you mean by "rights"? If you guys have a joint account and he pays for her college out of that, then legally, its shared money and he has every (legal) right to do so.

If for whatever reason, you don't agree with him paying for her and you don't want your money to contribute to that purpose, then you have a right to set up a private account in your name only and deposit your money into that account.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• OZARKGIRL3 HIT IT RIGHT ON.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 10:25 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You want him to support her? Well in Oklahoma its not mandatory, they dont HAVE to financially support step children, but ofcourse why would you marry someone if they werent willing and able to do so?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I'm a firm believer that kids need to pay for their own college education. Things are not like they used to be. If you intend to have children with this man...then you must discuss this issue because what you do for one...if you don't do for the others...it can cause great family conflict. Many people start out saving away for their kids and find after the first one goes to college...all funds are used up...hence the others don't get the same break. Many financial advisors suggest kids working for scholarships, grants, and student loans. Many kids don't take college seriously and use it as a place to party rather than to succeed. I believe if you want something bad enough...you will find a way to have it.
    steponme

Answer by steponme at 3:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2009