Would you let them take a bath together?

I have a boy who will be 3 on the 21st and a 10 month old girl. They take baths together all the time and they have a blast. I keep thinking about what age I'll separate them and I'm just looking for some input. Thanks.

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 8:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would leave them until she is maybe 2. Go with your gut and whatever feels comfortable, every family is different.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My son is 3 and DD is 18 months and they bathe together. I don't really know an exact time when I will stop but I will know when the time comes. My gut is pretty good about stuff like that
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My kids are almost 3, almost 5, and almost 6 and take baths together. My youngest is a girl. Once she turns 3 we're separating boys from girls since the boys are older and more curious.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I do not see the harm in them showering together... I think that your son will tell you when it is time. My 8 YO son just let me know that he does not want to shower with his little bro's anymore, but My DD 2 and my 5 yo son still splash together on the weekends
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 8:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I have a boy and girl and I started with them at 4 and 5 sometimes they just want to play together so I tell them to keep their underwear on. Then when they are ready to come out I just go in there and give them a good bath. They are now 6 and 8. I still let them play in the tub sometimes depends if I am short on time I tell them to play quickly bc I need to bathe them for the evening and get ready for bed. It is really up to u. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Hmm I never thought about it, but my kids are a 3 year old girl and 6 year old boy. They still bathe together sometimes. Sometimes he does take a shower and she is in the bath....We never make being naked a big deal. I don't even think they have acknowledged each other's parts. They are too busy splashing and playing.

I figure it will just naturally work itself out since he wants to take showers more....

Anonymous

• My kids bathe together too, I've decided that when they start noticing that the other one is different I'm probably gonna separate them just so I don't have any innapropriate talk from my three year old, she's got a big mouth and says things at the worst times!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think it all depends on you and how you feel about it. I don't let Liz bathe with the twins unless we have an emergency with her while the twins are bathing. But on the same note I don't let the twins bathe with me either, I just don't feel comfortable.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 10:00 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• There really is no set age to separate boys from girls in the tub or while changing clothes. The way I did it was when they started asking why they had different body parts was when I started separating them.
    My split was a little easier for other reasons tho too. I had 2 boys 18 mos apart, then 2 girls 19 mos apart 22 mos after the boys. My youngest daughter is separated from the others by a 4 yr 4 mo gap, followed by my youngest son 3 yrs 5 mos later. That made it real easy to split bath teams up. My youngest daughter just hops in with 1 of her sisters for help with her hair, and my hubby bathes the baby, no "mixing" required.
    My 4 older kids usually bathed 2 boys, then 2 girls. But it wasn't unusual for them to hop in together if we were short on time either, especially when we had the huge garden tub in the master bath. The kids called it their "swimming tub" and all 4 could bathe at once if need be.
    6KidzMommie

Answer by 6KidzMommie at 3:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• We have all boys, so if you're going at it from the girl/boy angle, I'm no help.

However...we just kind of picked the age of 4 years for when they are allowed to bathe by themselves. Right now, my youngest two (3 and 2 years) take a shower/bath together. Once my 3 year old turns 4 then he will get to shower alone. (so the youngest benefits, too! lol)

My 5 year old gets to shower by himself...and we are working with him to actually clean, dry, dress himself (clothes stick when you're still a bit damp lol) He's doing a pretty good job, too!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:52 AM on Mar. 11, 2009