Story time with my two year old....

It is very hard to read to my son because he wants to take the book from us and pretend to read it himself. I dont mind him holding the book but I cant read it when hes flipping pages every second lol. He gets so mad if my husband or I try and take the book so that we can read it to him so at that point hes not even listening any more. I know its very important to read to him so can any one help me? We havnt even read a book in about a week because its so frusterating.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At this age let him lead in story time. If he wants to flip the pages let him. What you can do is either buy books on c.d.'s or tape record yourself reading the book while he looks through it and "plays" with the book himself.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I forgot to add, while he is flipping through the pages you can point out things on the page. For example, if there is a cow on the page, point it out and talk to him about cows- they live on a farm, they make the milk that we drink, they make the sound moo, etc.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I would just let him take the book and let him have fun pretending. Just the fact that you are introducing him to books and showing him reading is fun, is good enough at this age.

Don't fret that he is not letting you read...he will be fine.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 8:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Haha, my daughter went through this exact same phase only it was around 19 months. She had always LOVED us to read books to her before that. It only lasted a few weeks. Now she brings a pile of 20 books and wants me to go through them one by one, page by page, so I'd actually enjoy the excuse not to read Dr Seuss again for a day or two! The flipping through is an important part of literacy, though. It's important for them to understand how books work and guide their own "reading" -- even if they don't do it right!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Reading the story isn't the important thing. Teaching him that books are fun, how to turn pages, how to "read" a story from the pictures is important too.
    Let him read the book anyway he wants. Let him help turn the pages. Ask him to point to things. Ask him to find things in the pictures. Ask him to tell you what's happening in the picture.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Thank you guys for all the advice!! Allot of the advice is easier said then done but I will do my best to point things out for the second that Im able to see them lol. I love that he pretends to read but I feel like the only way hes going to learn is to actually see and hear what the objects are in his book. I guess I just miss him sitting there actually allowing me to read to him, it made me feel good as a parent to be able to teech him new things. Great advice ladies, thank you!
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I read to my twins throughout our day. During the day if they bring me a book to read I let them be my guide. If they want to sit for the whole story, great, and if not I let them flip to the parts they want to look at.
    Every night I read to them before bed. We put them in their cribs and I read two or three books. Sometimes they're content to sit and look/listen to the story and other times they want their own book to look at. Tonight for example I gave them each a book to hold/flip through while I read. We've been reading a book about saying please and thank you. Eventhough they're flipping through their own book the message is getting through because they're saying please and thank you without prompting more and more frequently.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• You should let him, I know it can be annoying, but he's learning.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 10:47 AM on Mar. 11, 2009