How do I teach my 14 month old not to hit

DS is 14 months and has recently started hitting. Not out of anger just does it randomly. How do I teach him to stop because no doesn't seem to do it. Please do not suggest that I hit him back. I don't think that hitting to tach not to hit is the right way to go about it.

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 8:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You don't believe in spanking then? Well, I wish you all the best..... you could try that counting method that makes moms look so dumb out in pubic, or a timeout... either way, he will be in control of you in a few years... enjoy it.
    Anonymous

• I love when people leave answers like that and are too chicken to post it with their name!
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Wow, anon was rude!

Consistency is key when dealing with a toddler. Try this time out technique and see if it helps:
    when he hits say to him "no hitting" then hold him in your lap facing away from you for one minute then repeat "no hitting", give him a kiss, and move on.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• First I have to say you cannot teach a child not to his by in return hitting him that makes no sence, my son had the same problem, what I found worked is like what twin club mom said, be consistent whenever my son wound hit me Id say "Conner, no hitting, you love mama you dont hit mama" then I'd give him a hug and kiss and after a while when i would have to repremand him for hitting he would automatically hug and kiss me, he still slips up sometimes but he easily is corrected unlike when I first started.
    cj_letourneau07

Answer by cj_letourneau07 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• It really sucks that people can be so rude when we are all just here to try to help each other! Go find someone in real life to be mean to!
    Anyway...for your question. It is probably part of his learning hand/eye coordinaiton and as you said, not meant to be a mean thing. You could try redirection, giving him a different toy or turning him away from what he is hitting. You could try a firm grip on his hand with a "No, we don't hit!" Or if he's not hitting people, you can just ignore it. He may just be doing it to see what you to in reaction to it and if you ignore it, he will surely find other toddler things to worry you with!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:45 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• When my son whom is 14months started hitting I would pop his hand, it only took a few times. Then when he found out that didnt hurt he countined so everytime he'd do it then I would pretend to cry and he never does it anymore and if he does out of play excitment he will give mommy kisses.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• My dd is going through a little hitting phase herself. We hold her hand firmly (not squeezing or being rough, just a little pressure) look her in the eye and say "We do not hit. Hitting hurts". Sometimes it has no effect, sometimes she breaks down like we just shot her dog. But every time we end it with a big hug saying "We are kind to all living things, so we do not hit. Mommy loves you. Now lets...." and redirect. I think it's getting through to her, although at 18 months who knows? LOL Good luck, just be firm, consistent, and gentle. Your LO will figure it out.
    MamaApio

Answer by MamaApio at 10:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Be consistent. Hold his hands firm and Tell him NO HITTING, and demonstrate being nice, by gently petting his hand, saying 'we be nice, see? NICE". That's what worked for my two kids at this age.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I tapped my daughters hand when she hit others and she never did it again but you said you wanted hit/ tap free suggestions, so I guess u can try firmly holding the hand she hit w/ and tell her no and explain what she did wrong, I wanted 2 be one f the no hitting type of discipline moms but that boat sailed when frustration came knockin I never spank hard but still I feel bad after and wish I could find another way that will work. Best of luck 2 you I hope you do well w/ the no hitting type of discipline
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:21 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• I just had to add that studies have shown that children whose hands are slapped or tapped as punishment have lowered dexterity in their hands. In extreme cases they even showed lower motor skills in general. It is not a good idea to hit your child hands. It teaches him not to explore & develop normally!!

MamaApio

Answer by MamaApio at 9:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2009