What The Heck is Wrong With my Daughter?!

Do you know?! Cause I sure as hell dont! This child (15 months) never sleeps, eats like there is no 2morro, throws fits for absolutely no reason, and gets so mad that she hits, bites, and pulls out her hair. Now I know this stuff is normal for a toddler to a certain extent. But I am starting to think that she is taking it way overboard. She is always dead tired, so she trips and falls and has trouble walking straight. She can out eat me any day. And she is constantly hurting herself out of anger. Now when I talk to her doctor about this he tells me its normal and Im exagerating. Ummm...I havent slept for more than 4 hours in 3 days. And thats 4 hours between those days, not each day. I doubt I am exagerating. And I am deff. at the end of my rope. I cant even get anyone to babysit her anymore...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she needs to be evaluated by a specialist cause it sounds to me as if it is more than the normal toddler tantrums and it also sounds like you need a break and some answers before you go insane. Take her to another doctor momma and get some answers so you can get some sleep.
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 9:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Time to make an apointment with a behavior specialist. That isn't normal behavior by anyone's standards.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• The behavior sounds perfectly normal for an exhausted toddler (except for the constant eating). But an exhausted toddler is not normal or healthy.
    I'd suggest you get a copy of "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". I don't know if you are willing to let her CIO but at some point you have to say "Enough is enough, I'm the parent, you're the toddler. You are NOT a baby anymore. I know you don't want to rest but I know you NEED it."
    I finally had to do it at about 14 months. My daughter looked horrible, was sick all the time, and was a little monster to be around. But once she learned that I meant it when I said NAPTIME or BEDTIME and she started sleeping - WOW what a difference. She became a happy, sunny kid almost overnight. The ugly dark circles and bags under her eyes went away and I discovered she had a beautiful smile.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Picture a child the same age as your daughter who has lived in complete fear for months. Try to imagine the changes that the constant stress and fear have made in that child's personality, brain, and physical development.
    The same thing is happening to your daughter. Why? When a young child gets overtired, their bodies release adrenaline - the same chemical that floods the body of the abused little girl.
    The more tired your daughter, the more pain she feels - all the time. Every owie, every frustration causes more stress. She can't tell you what hurts, she can't tell you that EVERYTHING hurts. She doesn't know that sleep will help. All she knows is that sleep means she will miss things.

Yes, she may have other problems and an evaluation may help. I'd suggest video taping her beforehand so it's not just your word. But she may very well just need sleep. Badly!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• yeah if she's tired thats def a reason she's acting like that but if she's acting like that even when she's not tired, i would take her to a specialist, you do that regardless.
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I wanted to use CIO as a form of sleep training. But living with my almost in-laws, who call CPS everytime I do it (let her CIO) I have gotten tired of having those a-holes up my a*s constantly. So now this is what I am stuck with. And Kaycee, sounds like we have went through the same thing. My daughter looks horrible, gets colds constantly now, and has those horrible dark circles. And I dont look much better ha! My boss actually asked me several times the other day if I needed a day off from work or wanted to go home. HA! I told him I'd rather be at work than at home with the monster and if I need a break from anything its my child, not my job. This is getting way out of hand. And she was evaluated, she doesnt qualify for early intervention. btw I did not mean to post anon the 1st time, sorry.
    tiffers32788

Answer by tiffers32788 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• my 14month old id the same thing, he was a true monster!!! Sometimes he still is! What I found was wrong with my son was the routine wasnt perfect and routine enough. Strict strict very strict worked for us, it is hard but it worked. We bathed at the same times, ate at the same times, bedtime same time. Make the day really fun full of new exciting things and have someone help you through out the day. Have baby take a nap if you can for an hour and countinue playing outside, then do the dinner bath and then story time hour or two before bed NO tv or anything exciting, she will sleep. When she wakes up when it iis bed time keep lights off and dont get up. Make sure the room is baby proofed and she will come back to bed (mine co-sleeps). Be paitient you getting upset upsets her which is probably why she get angry, its her way of letting it out. GL!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:50 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• poor baby (you and her). Is there anywhere you can go for a few days- with her? Because she will have to CIO eventually. A friends house or something? Or any talking to the in-laws? She does need to be put to bed, again and again until she understands there is no other option.
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think an evalutation by a behaviourist is a good suggestion. Establishing a new routine and following Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child is also a good plan (worked for us with the twins).
    She's at an age where most children drop their morning nap but if she's not sleeping well, I'd try to put two naps in place along with an early bed time. If you want PM me and I'll tell you how the program works. If you can get the sleep piece under control it'll allow you to work on the other stuff (if they don't work themselves out on their own).
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 10:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• Tiffers, does she ever get out of the house, see the sky, or NOT hear the TV? We kept a little girl for a while who would get so cranky with "cabin fever" that as soon as we took her outside, she immediately quit crying. Also, does your DD get any social interaction with other kids her age? She may be bored out of her mind and need some new stimulation. Maybe take her to the park, or the library, or even Wal-Mart and let her "play" (no quarters needed at this age...) in the fun center there. Just remember that they are only little once, and that "this too shall pass", quickly! Also, could she be teething? If she is in pain, she will not rest well, resulting in being overtired and cranky. If she is, infant tylenol drops (ck with dr for dosage) she alleviate her pain so that she AND YOU can rest! :) Lastly, if you've taken her off the bottle in the last few months, give it back!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:01 AM on Mar. 11, 2009