The new Obama education standards leave much of no child left behind in place!

I am an ardent bush supporter but one of the things he implimented that I disliked is the No Child Left Behind Act. Teachers are teaching to tests. Crappy teachers are prtected with tenure, and special needs students are forced along side the other students. They are called special needs for a reason. They have SPECIAL NEEDS! I remeber being in high school in Cali and the special needs girl roaming the hall screaming while we were trying to take tests! And in my dd elemntary school they have thsame kinds of problems!

Teachers are dropping like flies b/c of all the restrictions and tests. Couldn't we change THIS??? But it seems he is justexpanding on these (crappy) Bush policies!

Do you like the No Child Left Behind Act? Do you think the additions help or hurt?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29612995/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have an Autistic son who benefited from a special needs classroom. He was moved into a main stream classroom when we felt he was ready, not because he was forced to do it. My dd is now in an alternative school because she froze when it came to tests. NCLB is all about testing. She is a hands on learner and this alternative school was our answer. I started homeschooling my son because special needs resources were cut at the middle school level because of NCLB. My son sits on the Internet all day because his school is online. He can do his sister's HS homework and he is in 6th grade! I know people who unschool and their children are far above their peers intellectually. Most of what a child learns is taught to them by their parents. I am amazed at what my kids have not learned in Public school. Yet, the teacher's hands are tied because of the NCLB act. Either the majority of kids pass the tests or they lose funding.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 2:10 AM on Mar. 11, 2009

• i just find it humorous that Obama didn't change anything about it. Not saying that I agree with it, but just watching ANOTHER broken promise from the anointed one, makes me laugh.

Anonymous

• I thought it was a great program, it just needed more funding.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I HATE HATE HATE it! I still favor Obama, but this stupid act is the bane of my existence. When I transfered from public school ahead of the kids in private school, I got in trouble EVERY DAY because I had already learned cursive and would write my name on my papers in cursive but other kids couldn't. I actually got in trouble for doing something more advanced than the rest of the class!!! How stupid does that sound? So of course I learned to only do the minimum amount of work and put in the minimum amount of effort... enough to get good grades but not enough to learn anything. And this was when Bush was only the Governor! It only got worse after that. My child will NOT be attending regular public school unless this attitude towards tests changes drastically. I want him to LEARN, not memorize 5 minutes before a test!
    Anonymous

• Scratch that second sentence... I was in private school then transfered to public ahead of the public school kids. Sorry!
    Anonymous

• Have you talked to any teachers about this program heather. Most of them hate it.

Anonymous

• My kids are grown and out of school but I have grandchildren attending. I do not like the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND because it is not fair to the kids that actually apply themselves and the special needs kids kind of get lost in the shuffle. There are too many restrictions and rules as it is. Like no talking at lunch, no running on the playground, no touching the walls, stupid stuff like that. Kids need to be kids. Not mini adults.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• no i'm not for it. Our school already had similar policies before the Bill passed.. and we ended up with a lot of drop outs because of it. Kids with special needs need special classes.. rather than just push them through with the rest of the children.. they need to help them find trades that can help them once they graduate.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:20 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• special needs students are forced along side the other students. They are called special needs for a reason. They have SPECIAL NEEDS!

I take serious offense at this statement! Inclusion is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to those with special neds. I have an autistic child. He is 7. Thanks to the work of our wonderful school district and the HELP of NCLB he is on the cusp of being considered RECOVERED from autism. Special needs doesn't mean a child has to be hidden away! Studies show inclusion works. My child is proof. How dare you presume to know what a special needs child needs. Speech therapy is considered special needs. As a taxpayer my child has just as much right to the public school as yours.

One of the big problems NCLB has is that the schools have never gotten all the federal funding they were promised. It makes it hard to implement things such as inclusion when you don't have the $.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• That's great...for YOUR son....what about the ALL the OTHER kids who are distracted, lose the attention of their already over extended teacher, and (lets face it kids are mean) CAN'T understand the complexities of what is wrong with many of those special needs students!

Anonymous